New Project, budget $11,000, no components yet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DaveLL, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DaveLL

DaveLL Auditioning

I have nothing… A clean slate. I sold literally every piece of AV stuff I own less the Xbox (which I plan on using as the DVD player, is that wrong?)

My budget is $11,000, and this includes everything, even chairs. I want a projector system; the floor plan is in the thread below.

(I can't post urls because I'm a noob, but it's post #2912427, so just replace it in the url up top)

Some Parameters:
    -I watch a whole shitload of movies, but have very little understanding of AV stuff. I am not an audio or videophile, I can't tell the finer points of an extremely expensive system
    -however, I do have a massive appreciation for a true theatre experience. To be able to recreate something close to that at home would mean a lot to me. I love movies, I love going to movies. I had a giant rear projection screen, but it still wasn't like the real thing, I want something closer with a larger than life screen and deep rich sound.
    -I will have neighbors, although the walls are thick and roof is extremely thick.
    -I know I want an HD projector system

So what should I buy that will fit my budget?

What should I buy and where should I buy it? I have a best buy gold business rewards card, I think I get 3% off there, if that matters. Should I ever buy anything used? Can I use my xbox as the DVD player, or is that crazy?

2. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

DaveLL,

With a budget of 11,000.....

The options are almost as endless as the stars my friend.

Search this and other forums wisely and you too can be successful in your HT adventure.

3. DaveLL

DaveLL Auditioning

Thanks!

What about for your screen?

4. RickRO

RickRO Stunt Coordinator

Well I'm not quite there yet....I am still searching bleary eyed on the net and various forums to see what is actually out there but I have been eyeing Severtson screens, look here. I am leaning towards this screen if for no reason other than they seem to be understated and let there product speak for itself. I have not truly decided as of yet but......I know that I don't want to spend as much for my screen as I do for the projector and the receiver!!! You will learn as you spend countless hours searching that there are companies out there that "fluff up" their product to make a sale. One of the biggest subjective areas with this is interconnect cables. Do a search on that topic and be prepared for a bumpy ride.