New Progressive Scan DVD player under $250

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeepakJR, Apr 4, 2002.

1. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I am interested in getting a progressive scan DVD player for under $250 and with digital coaxial output. Any suggestions

2. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

Deepak

WElcome to the forum. There are many at that price level.

Check out Sam's club, they have now started selling Toshiba 3750 for $169, Phillips for $169, Toshiba SD3755 (5 disk, I have it and I love it) for $225, SD 4700 for 199 etc.

here are also some JVC players that people like here. Make sure if you want DVD-A support or not before you make the choice. The SD3755 does not.

Good Luck.

3. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

I looked into the Toshiba SD3750 and it looked pretty good. Anyone out there with one, plz fill me in on its performance. Thanx Shankar[​IMG]

4. DeepakJR

DeepakJR Second Unit

After doing a little research. I am now leaning toward the Toshiba 4700 because of the DVD-A feature. Anyone out there with one or know of its results plz post.

5. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

The biggest problem with the 4700/5700 is that you have to manually switch between the bitstream and 6-channel outputs, which is a PiTA if you want to let your receiver handle DD/DTS and the Tosh DVD-A

if you can wait a little bit I'd see how Panasonic's forthcoming RP-82 turns out (that's what I am doing)

6. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I'm selling my JVC XV-SA75GD, which is progressive scan and does DVD-audio. It also doesn't have the chroma bug which the toshiba's have. YOu can email me if you would like more info about it. [email protected]

7. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

The 4700/5700 series is slightly better at video than the JVC70BK/75GD even though it has the 'Bug' which the JVC's do not. I used the standard picture of the 4700 to calibrate my User 1 Setting on the 70BK which I was able to do down to the last detail because JVC provides fully adjustable parameters including Gamma.

IMO the Audio is superior on the JVC's...stereo to DVD-A. And as Matt says, the Tosh's requires you to constantly enter the menus and make all of the appropriate selections when changing from one format to another. Plus it has no true reverse/still but the Tosh zoom feature is very

useful...better than the JVC. The JVC's have no extra stereo outs like the Tosh's but do not require them, ergo no setup menu dancing is needed.

8. Mike Pattee

Mike Pattee Second Unit

You might also consider the sony dvpns700p. Circuit City has them for 249.99. From what I've seen it looks like a really nice player.

Mike