New Progressive Scan, DVD Audio Players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John*S, Dec 4, 2001.

1. John*S

John*S Agent

I visited the local Best Buy the other day and checked out the DVD player selection, hoping to see an RP-91. Well, no RP-91 but they did have the RP-56, the Sony and a couple of progressive scan units by JVC that also did DVD Audio and all formats of CDs. They even had a carousel progressive scan DVD play by JVC. Not high end stuff -- in the high $200s and $350 for the carousel.

Anyone know anything about these new players? Do they suffer the typical Chroma bug, etc, or are they a new generation of performance?

2. Pete N

Pete N Auditioning

If you do a quick search on this board or other HT boards, you will find numerous threads on the Panasonic and JVC players.

Neither the JVCs or the Panasonics have the chroma bug. The Panasonic supposedly has the flicker bug. Not too sure what exactly the problem is there, but people have complained about it.

People go back and forth between the RP-56 and JVC XV-SA60/70. The 70 has DVD-A while the 60 does not. I do not think the RP-56 has DVD-A (sorry if I am wrong about this). Many claim the JVCs progressive picture is better than the RP-56 while the interlaced is not.

I just purchased a JVC 70bk from Vanns for $249.88 shipped. I have not received it yet so I cannot give you any personal experiences.

3. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

In addition to their website, the local BestBuy's here also carry the Toshiba 3750 ($200) and 4700 ($250). My buddy just purchased the 4700 and hooked it to his Toshiba 65HX80 with incredible results. Tho, I believe, Toshiba players exhibit the chroma problem but in a less unobtrusive amount.

-Kevin

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I bought a Toshiba 4700 last weekend at BB. The picture is great thus far and I'm happy with it. BTW, I'm using interlaced only for now, as my current TV is a 32" direct view.

5. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I, also, have the 4700 - bought at Vanns for $225 shipped. I belive they are out of stock now, but Onecall also has them for $225 w/ free shipping!

Although it does have the chroma bug it is VERY slight and in my tests LOOKING for it - hard to detect. No shimmer or flicker as reported with the RP56. I intended to taste test the 4700 vs. the JVC's but the 4700 was SO good in my set up that I didn't want to fart around with swapping and returning multiple players. The image is fantastic and it makes my HT look the way I always thought it could!

I did this same test last year at this time with a 6200 toshiba player and found NO discernable difference between it and my then current proscan PS8680z player. Couldn't even detect any difference when switching between interlaced and progressive on the 6200. Now with the 4700 it is so obvious my wife wouldn't even consider NOT keeping the 4700! And the 4700 is about $250 cheaper than the 6200 is/was!! Needless to say I'm a happy camper with this player.

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

4700 is a fabulous DVD player for the money. RP56 may have a Sage/faroudja chip and no chroma bug, but it's so limited in terms of features otherwise (no zoom, no reformatting of 4:3 material on widescreen, can't switch processive/interlaced from the remote, etc., etc.) that I can't recommend it.

I had the RP91 for a week and sent it back, choosing to keep my 4700. The RP91 has a lot of features, and is a good unit, but it's complex and I noticed more visual artifacts than with the 4700. In the end I didn't feel it was worth twice the price of the 4700.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Pete, the Panasonic DVD-RP56 does not offer DVD-Audio. For DVD-Audio, you have to go with the DVD-RP91 or DVD-RA60. The 'RA60 is a new model and does not offer progressive-scan output.

8. Rich_B

Rich_B Extra

Pick a player w/ DVD-A capability. You'll be glad you did. On the JVC models, it's only $30-$50 more.

9. PaulMaddock

PaulMaddock Auditioning

I would advise caution with JVC. All of their recent progressive scan players have sub-title problems with the Phantom Menace DVD.

10. Pete N

Pete N Auditioning

I just received my JVC 70bk yesterday from Vanns TWO days after I placed the order. Frankly, the player is awesome. Granted it is my first DVD, but I could not detect any major flaws watching the Matrix. I have a 2-channel stereo system and 27 inch non-digital TV. I could only imagine what the Matrix would sound and look like with a big screen 16:9 digital TV and a 5.1 receiver.

The two DVD-A discs were INSIDE the box. You still have to pick one of the DVD movies and send away for it, though.