New progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer from Kenwood.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 21, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Crutchfield today added the Kenwood DV-6050 progressive-scan DVD-Audio carousel changer to its web site. The price is $350, and the player is expected to be in stock on October 11th. Here is the link:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DV6050&o=m&a=0
    Note that the '6050 is not part of the Sovereign and is not a replacement for the Sovereign '5700 per se. The '6050 looks like a nice changer. I appreciate the simple front panel. It appears to me that the remote shown is not for the '6050, however. It looks like a remote to a Kenwood receiver.

2. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I doubt if that thing is going to let you shuffle DVD-A discs, unless they figured out how to get to the surround or stereo tracks on their own. How would that work? Would you have to first select what mix(stereo or surround) you wanted and then shuffle?

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Shawn, I doubt the '6050 does shuffle play on DVD-Audio discs. Most changers don't do shuffle play on DVD-Video discs.

4. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Mmmm, bass management on DVD-A. Here we go again...

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Neil, I guess you are questioning whether the '6050 actually does bass management on DVD-Audio or whether it does it properly. That's what I am wondering.

6. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Wow, that looks like a great player. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews. I was leaning towards the Sony NC655P, but if the Kenwood doesn't have the Chroma bug, it's probably worth the extra $100.

7. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Well, it's the standard routine around here: new player gets introduced, promises desirable feature set, then we all sit around and wait to hear about its problems, and how it doesn't *really* do what we thought it would.

If this player really does have useful bass management on DVD-A, no chroma bug, and a decent changer mechanism, then it'll possibly jump over the Panny CP-72K as most desirable. But it's 2 months before we know. *sigh*

IIRC, the Sovereign changer (the 5700 I think) was knocked for having an extremely slow changer mechanism. Can we reasonably expect this one to be better? Not that it's my #1 player criterion, but it's nice not to be *too* pokey.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Neil, fair point. Many DVD players promise a lot and don't deliver. We'll have to wait and see how the '6050 shapes up. The Sovereign '5700 doesn't show the chroma bug, so hopefully the '6050 won't either. My main concern is the sound quality. At $350 and the fact that it isn't a Sovereign component, I wonder what we can expect from it audiowise.