New production Laserdisc players

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by jim.vaccaro, Sep 22, 2005.

1. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

I've got a CLD-D704 as my main player and a CLD-D703 as a backup. Both are over 10 years old, and aren't getting any younger. I live in fear of the day when something craps out on one or both of them and Pioneer doesn't have the parts available to fix it.

What are the odds of a new production laserdisc player for those of us who would pay for it? The thing that irks me is that electronics manufacturers are still happily churning out VHS decks, but LD player production stopped in 2001. Not fair.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I think you may still be able to buy a new-production Pioneer Elite DVL deck. The thing is, though, that -704 parts will still be around for a long time yet: the last time I checked, you could still get at least some parts for the VP-1000, Pioneer's first consumer player [1981]. I know Kurtis Bahr just replaced the clamper bearing on my -704. Of course, you could always try and get a late-model Japanese player; I think they may still be in production, and in any case you could get a HLD-X9 from 2001 or 2002, which would extend the lifetime before you need parts as well as the time window in which you could expect to get them.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Economics isn't about fairness. One product achieved mass market penetration, and the other didn't. That means there are many more VHS tapes out there (and many more people who still want to play them) than there are LDs.

M.

4. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I have noticed...for amusement- that Most of the VHS players out their are pretty cheap! Not many super VHS either. I had one of my 3 VHS die- I have no issue NOT replacing it! I didnt even put one in the Theater room. Mostly we use VHS for my son.

5. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    It's my understanding that Pioneer has made the DVL-919 in small quantities for both Asia and The U.S. the last few years. At any rate, they're stille available new. The CLD-70x's you have are better players though. Pioneer continues to suppourt their products, bless them!

Maybe it would make you feel better to buy a few more players? I did this a few years back. I just wore out one of 'em, a Panasonic LX-1000U, it's drive motor just stopped in the middle of a side about a month ago. Prospects for it's repair are pretty slim.

I might snag another 'un myself??? I'd. If you do, why not aim high? I'd say your best targets would be be CLD's 97 & 95, LD-S2, LD-X9, and HLD-X9 if you got carried away. You can get a brand new DVL-909 for about a grand but it's a step down from what you have. I'd advise looking for a hi-end player and even if you have to spend money on it sometime in the next few years, you could come out cheaper than a grand...atleast with CLD's 97 & 95...and proably with an LD-S2 also. Best wishes from Laserland! [​IMG]

6. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

I owned a 704, nice player.

man you guys have not given up your collection yet eh ? [​IMG]

7. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I was just watching the Rock on my Proscan Laser disk player on tues- First time too use the player in the HT room with the new projector and screen. Did a pretty good Job IMO! Thought the disk was only doblby stereo- my Yamaha did a great job using PLXII and giving me simulated 6.1 [​IMG]

8. Tony Kwong

Tony Kwong Supporting Actor

Why would we get rid of them when most titles are only worth pennies2dollars![​IMG]

9. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I just sold my mint Pioneer LD-S9 - sorry. But I doubt that you'd like the price I sold it for - $1,500. An HLD-X9 will cost you much more, and an HLD-X0 quite a bit more than the X9, if you can find either at all. So, unless you're a bucks-up LD fanatic, I'd stay with your 704, which is certainly no slouch.

Now I'm down to my trusty LD-S2, which has performed flawlessly for over a dozen years. If you don't need dual-side play, RF out or mind that it weights in the 70lb area., I highly recommend it. They turn up on Ebay quite often. Operationally, the quietest and smoothest player I've ever come across.

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What Rachel said. There’s no shortage of them on eBay. I just did a searched for “pioneer laser disc player” and came back with 58 hits. It should be no problem finding a couple of nice ones to keep for spares.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

Well, from what I understand Pioneer in Japan still produce 4 different laserdisc players still today!

DVL-919. As we already know, this is a DVD/LD combo.

CLD-R5. A CD/LD player and the only player today with no DVD in it.

DVL-K88. Is a DVD/LD karaoke machine.

DVK-900. That is a crazy DVD/LD karaoke + amplifier/speaker all in one system!!
    [​IMG]

What player that is best of these? Well, I would guess that the R5, that where under the R7G, is better than the DVL-919. So if one really need a NEW player, the R5 would maybe be the player to get.

But if the money is there I would rather go the for a second hand LD-S9, HLD-X9, CLD-97 and have the player serviced with new laser and belt etc so it's like new again. This would give the best picture quality too.
    This is what I will do with my second HLD-X0 soon. [​IMG]

12. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

Actually, I probably would have picked it up from you. That's a better price than I've seen on Ebay for an LD-s9.

You guys are all right, one of these days I'm going to have to pick up another used player.

13. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Pioneer is great for support. May my 704 last for years to come. I bet i only put 20 hours a year on it. If not for my Star Wars and animated Star Trek i probably would have ditched the thing many years ago. I used to have about 150 LD titles, now i am down to 20, and those 20 are not on DVD.

14. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I own a DVL-919 and two entry-level LD players for backup. I consider getting a used higher-level player or two some time. They can be used for CD players around the house. [​IMG]

15. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Lars, any Pioneer LD players that start with "LD" or "HLD" don't play CD's.

16. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I've tried listing it here quite a while ago, but never even got so much as an inquiry. Everyone wants a deal and mine wasn't a deal. But I probably should have - you never know. Too late now.