Here was my setup:
TV JVC AV-36F703
DVD Panasonic DVD-RP62
REC Pioneer vsx-d850s
Speakers JBL NSP-1
Subs Sony SA-WM40 (2)
Playstaion 2
and a cheap VCR.

I really enjoyed the setup. It worked great compaired to my old setup. Here's the problem, someone stole most of it! All I had left out of it all was:
(2) N24s
(2) subs

Since then, I have replaced the TV and the VCR/DVD player. Now I need to get a receiver and speakers. The question is
Do I get a new receiver, center and fronts to go with the N24's, or just get a HTIB

I don't have alot of money to spend on it right now, no more than $500

Here is what I'm looking at
Receiver: Pioneer Vsx-912, Onkyo tx-sr601
Speakers: N-Center and (2)N26s, Onkyo 6.1 speaker set, Fluance 5.1 set.
Or the HTIB: Onkyo HTS-760
Sorry it is so long! Thanks for any advice.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Sorry to make this so short, but with your budget, HTIB is really your only option, if you want a complete system NOW.

If you can save up, you can get a nice receiver now with that $500 and have 2-channel stereo for now, then buy a 5-piece HT speaker set.

Typically HTIB isn't the best stuff out there...but may be OK for now until you can get what you really want.

But along those lines, personally, I would wait and get better stuff, but that's me.

Tim W G

Agent
I can get the whole setup now, HTIB, Or get one piece at a time. You know, just the receiver or speakers. Then wait until I have saved some cash and get the rest. I'm really not looking to replace anything that I get for some time, so I am willing to wait for some of it. But I can't afford to spend an arm and a leg either.
So, I think $400 for a receiver, $300 for speakers. Or $500 for the htib. Thanks, sorry for the confusion,
Tim

Jin E

Second Unit
Here is a suggestion:

Onkyo TSXR500 $173 shipped to Georgia from Onecall

HTD Level II Bookshelf clearance for $109 x2

HTD Level II Center Channel B-stock for $67

$209 + $65 + $15 shipping = $289

Total = $462 Shipped.

Having heard the NSP1's and the HTD II's side by side I MUCH prefer the HTD's. The N24's sounded hollow and bright compared to the rich warm sound of the Level II's. You might also be able to get their clearance and B-stock speakers at a substantial discount. I received this e-mail from them last week... and the offer should still be good.

You or a Friend can Save BIG While Supplies Last Contents
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jin Elkins, as a previous customer at Home Theater Direct, we are offering you or a friend the chance to save as much as 30% on already marked down merchandise. Just mention your original order number, htd-7191, in the COMMENTS section of our online order form or when you call 866-483-2834 (toll free) and we will subsequently apply the appropriate savings prior to charging your credit card.
When you place your order just mention my order number... they might give you a discount. I picked up a pair of B-stock Level III's for $125 that way. If they do let you use it you can get the old style Level III's for the price of those Bstock Level II's. Take the N24's and put them in your bedroom... or possibly sell them.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Im sorry that hear you got stolen.

I think your best option is to rebuy a NSP1, as you know is an incredible setup for the money, you can get it for $180 at buy.com only the N ceter will cost $100, so you will be getting the other N24 for $80, and could end with 7.1 setup. Also hurry because the E series is replacing the old northbrige series, so everybody is clearing them, I try to find N26 or N28 and couldnt find a single place that carry them. I think your best option is to go with buy.com.

I have an VSX-D912K moving my NSP1 and for me its a great reciever, it does everything that you need for $300, very good.

Hope it helps, good luck,
Pablo

Tim W G

Agent
Hey Pablo, how does the 912 go with the nsp-1? That is the receiver I'm really leaning toward. The 850 I had was pretty good. I don't think I would be buying another one if I still had it! I think the 912 is a newer model of the 850. Hopefully I'll get something soon!

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Tim,

For me it was the perfect match, because of my budget, and also because I like a lot the sound my setup produce. But I also have an Marantz SR6200 in my HT setup with some studio series, and Marantz plays music very unique. But I think the Pio makes a great battle in the HT segment, sometime I think is even better because is more upfoward and bright than the Marantz, so the movies are more detail and crisp, it like everything is more pronounced. I like both setups, but I think the NSP1 with the 912 is a great entry level match. Try to auditon it, you already had the NPS1 and you know how good is it for the money, well and also the pioneer is a great reciever for $300, I think you will end up with a nice setup and you wont spend a fortune.

Good luck with your setup,
Pablo

ken-m

Agent
TIM,
CRUTCHFIELD HAS THE HTS760 FOR 499.99 RIGHT NOW. IT IS 6.1 AND COMES WITH THE TXSR501 AND SIX SPEAKERS WITH A POWERED SUB. ONLY THING THAT I WOULD UPGRADE LATER ON WOULD BE THE SPEAKERS.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Tim W G

Agent
So do you think the Onkyo 501 will be as good as the pioneer 850 I used to have? I haven't dealt much with the 501. But the $200 price tag is real nice. I just don't want to get it and later wish I would have saved my money and got the poineer 912, or the Onkyo 601. Thanks,
Tim

Tim W G

Agent
What would be a better deal, the Harman avr-325, avr-230, or the onkyo tx-s601? They are all in my price range. I'm just haveing problems narrowing it down. Please help! I'm about to get something. I haven't really looked at the HK, but they don't look too bad. Thanks,
Tim

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
First thing you should do if you haven't already, is get insurance. Lighting does strike twice you know.

Tim W G

Agent
I already took care of that. That is why I'm getting new stuff. I can get it replaced if lightening strikes this time. So, any suggestions?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have an H/K 520 and an Onkyo HT-R500 and I think both brands are wonderful. Would have to flip a coin to pick one over the other. Also have the Onkyo 5.1 speaker set and think it is great value for the money. You have narrowed things down to some nice stuff and whatever you decide will be a good choice to me. Sorry for no specifics, but it's up to you now. Gene also, I don't consider the Onkyo systems as a HTIB but simply a nice receiver-speaker package.

Tim W G

Agent
Well, I just ordered the Onkyo TX-SR601s. Now I have to save up and get some speakers. At least it is coming together now. Thanks fot all the input,
Tim

Tim W G

Agent
The Onkyo finally arrived the other day. I have it hooked up to my tv for the center, until my center gets here and two pairs of JBL N26II. For now, I couldn't be happier. This receiver just blows my pioneer away. If you are looking for a great receiver for less than $400, you have to give this one a try. It has tons of features and plenty of power. I hear things when I watch movies now I never heard with my pioneer. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide. You guys were a big help.
Tim

John S

Senior HTF Member
Those Onkyo's do have that "Sound" huh???

I was surprised, even the SR501 has that great Onkyo High End sound...

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
Sorry to hear your loss. :frowning: It is good to hear you are slowly getting things back in order. And happy with what you are getting.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks