1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

New pre/pro-what to do with receiver???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan Andersson, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson Auditioning

I just took the plunge into seperates (ordered a new H/K Sig. 2.0). I only have a pair of old, but actually great, monoblocks, Kenwood L-05M. So, what to do the receiver (Pioneer Elite VSX-24THX)? Power the center and surround via the 5.1 input in the receiver, or trade the receiver for a 3 channel amp to power center and front L/R? If I sold the receiver, what could I expect to get for it (mint condition with OBM, remote etc.)?
    Jan
    ------------------
    "Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling"
    -August Strindberg

2. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

Well, the biggest advantage of keeping the receiver is in that rare case where one of your main amps go out, you can use your receiver in the 5.1 mode again. Other than that, sell it to offset some of your latest expenditures.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

You could also use it on the rear L + R channels in Dolby Pro Logic mode to give you a "homebrew" 6.1 THX EX/DTS-ES set up.
    You could give it to a relative.
    You could donate it to charity and claim the tax write off!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------

4. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

Jan -
    I was wondering about your new HK Sig 2.0. I saw it for $400 online at J and R. What is your opinion of it so far?
    I currently have a Denon 3300 as a Pre/Pro hooked to an HK 5800 5 channel amp. Would I notice a difference you think by upgrading to the HK Sig 2.0? Thanks
    ------------------

5. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

The above suggestions are good.............or if you're in need of a good doorstop..........
    ------------------
    Q