What's new

New Polk RTI12 demo (1 Viewer)

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully I am not stating something already discussed but I just spent an hour at my local FRYS listening to the new RTi12.

My first impression was "My goodness those are beautiful". They really have to be seen as the picture on the Polk site does not do them justice. They were set up on the main floor so the listening environment was terrible but during the hour there were a few moments of quiet. As has been discussed they are using the existing RTI tweeter and stood about the same height as the RTI150 but are a little more narrow. The built in spikes were a nice addition and almost give the base an alien type look. (I liked it)

The sound was as anticipated fantastic. Had they been in an enclosed room this certainly would have helped but Dianna Krall sounded fantastic. I love that DVD for showing off my RTI70 SVS combo and the salesman, also owning RTI70's, thought the same exact thing. The soundstage and imaging were (cough) a little nicer than my beloved rti70's. Having heard the LSI's and their Vifa tweeters I still believe they own the market musically for the Polk line however a few scenes of Toy Story 2 showed, as in the the older RTI's, the strength of the RTI12. These are made for the home theater environment. I am no audiophile by any stretch but musically they still fall a little short of the LSI line. Despite the small short coming musically there is a definite improvement in presence and when you hear them you will understand. The sound is warm,rich,and full. The RTI series has been criticized for being to bright and I still argue that a good H/K or NAD combo will always help to tame this. It is just not fair to drive the RTI line with a bottom rung Sony and complain about brightness. Ok off of my soap box but Polk has what looks to be a real winner here and at $699 per speaker not a terrible price. I don't think I will be unloading my 70's anytime soon but this new RTI series certainly looks to challenge much more expensive speakers and ultimately win the bang for the buck award again. Good job Polk and keep it up. The RTI12 looks to be another reason why I stay committed to Polk Audio.

Mark All

Second Unit
Thanks for the heads-up Jeff. You must be among the first to see and hear speakers from the new RTi line in the retail environment. Thanks for the preview review. I'll no doubt be auditioning a pair of RTi12s when they become available near me.

A couple of things should be corrected from above though. The tweeter on the upcoming RTi speakers is different from the one on the current line. The new one is a Vifa tweeter (a dome, not a ring radiator as on the LSi). Both are silk dome tweeters, but they are from different manufactures and have a different sound. Brightness in Polk's RTi line of speakers was inherent with the tweeters used on the RTi speakers from the generation prior to the current one that is now being phased out. The silk dome tweeters on the current line of Polk's are not really bright sounding.

For those who may be thinking about trying out the RTi12s, do not trust what you hear in most demo rooms. Unless Polk's big RTi speakers are experienced with big amplification, more than 200 watts per channel, an audition in most stores won't do them justice. I currently have my RTi150s bi-amped with 240 watts per channel. Do not try running the RTi150s or RTi12s with a receiver unless it has lots of power or you won't get the best out of them.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Correction on the Vifa is ok if correct. IT looks identical to the current tweet. I read a Polk press release awhile back and it mentioned a newer tweeter but nothing about Vifa. So thanks for the heads up. They are beautiful that is a definite. A Vifa dome as I am now finding out. Been out of the latest Polk gossip so forgive my mistake.

As for the brightness issue my RTi70's were extremely bright paired with a Yamaha receiver. A new H/K most definitely solved the problem in my case. Now granted some like it hot but being a musician has definitly tamed my ear for a mellow sound.

Mark All

Second Unit
As for the brightness issue my RTi70's were extremely bright paired with a Yamaha receiver. A new H/K most definitely solved the problem in my case. Now granted some like it hot but being a musician has definitly tamed my ear for a mellow sound.
Jeff, I have heard the same thing you're hearing. All Polks have sounded bright to me with Yamaha and Sony (even their ES stuff). I blame it on the receiver rather than the speakers though. True, some like it hot.

Denon, Harman Kardon, Onkyo, and Rotel sound more mellow on Polks.

Mark All

Second Unit
Polk has the manual for the new RTi speakers up on its Web site.

RTi Series Manual

Out of interest, I compared the specs for the current RTi150s with the new RTi12s. The -3dB limit range for the RTi12s is 30Hz-26kHz versus 26Hz-26kHz for the RTi150s. Recommended amplification is the same 50 to 500 watts per channel. Crossovers are set at 120Hz and 1.8kHz for the RTi12s versus 200Hz and 2.4kHz for the RTi150s. Shipping weight is up 7 pounds on the RTi150s to 88 pounds each. The RTi12s have an MSRP that's a couple of hundred dollars less each than the RTi150s.

I thought the low end on the new speakers might be better than it is given the larger drivers and the larger enclosure. I may be keeping my RTi150s after all.

Hello All,

Does anybody know of any deals on the Polk RTi12s and matching surround and center speakers with a reputable dealer? Also they would have to be shipped to Vancouver,B.C., Canada. I am really interested on these speakers and I hope you guys can help...

Thanks,

Dennis

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-Watson - GREAT write-up! Head to head, I would expect the 12's to nose out the 70's, probably in the lower midrange simply due to driver radiating surface and room filling capability.

I'll second the tweeter - the new RTi line uses a Vifa dome tweet (not to be confused with the Vifa ring tweet in the LSi line). The discontinued RTi line uses the Mueller silk dome tweet.

Personally, if I was going to give up the RT800i (which I won't), I'd go for the RTi8, since it's much easier to drive and I'm running a PB2+ (soon to be PB2-Ultra), both of which are in another league. No need to buy the bass twice.

For those who may be thinking about trying out the RTi12s, do not trust what you hear in most demo rooms. Unless Polk's big RTi speakers are experienced with big amplification, more than 200 watts per channel, an audition in most stores won't do them justice. I currently have my RTi150s bi-amped with 240 watts per channel. Do not try running the RTi150s or RTi12s with a receiver unless it has lots of power or you won't get the best out of them.
:emoji_thumbsup: All the way - great to see you posting again, Mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks