New Polk RTi Speakers or New Subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joel McIntosh, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Joel McIntosh

I'm sorry this is painfully long, but my situation is a little complicated. Right now I've got a 6.1 set-up using Polk RTi series speakers (fronts RTi8s, center CSi5, surrounds Rti38s, back CSi3). My subwoofer is a Hsu VTF-2. My trouble is that I just got an open-box deal on a Marantz 8300 universal DVD/SACD/ETC player that I love, but it has one big weakness -- it only let's me set my speakers to "Large" when playing SACD and DVD-A. I just don't feel like I'm getting the full advantage of the SACD/DVD-A bass without the RTi8s plus subwoofer combination. For various reasons, I can't use the speaker-level inputs on the VTF-2 and just use it's internal crossover because the VTF-2's speaker lever inputs are too small for 12 gauge speaker wire and too close together for the Monster plugs I've tried to use (yes, I imagine I could rig something with the Monster plugs and electrical tape ... but really ...). So, it seems to me that I need to do one of two things, and I would like to know what you guys think. (1) Buy a Hsu VTF-3 subwoofer ($799) which has inputs that can accommodate the banana plugs and/or 12 gauge wire -- I could then just run the fronts through the VTF-3's speaker level inputs and use the sub's internal crossover (the advantage here is that I would be getting a better subwoofer and would retain the advantage of the RTi8s more expansive mid-range drivers). (2) Trade up my Polk RTi8s for RTi10s (Circuit City trade up = $250). The RTi8s have two 6.5" mid-bass drivers and one tweeter; the RTi10s have one 7" woofer, one 6.5" mid-bass driver, and 1 tweeter. The Rti8 has a -3dB lower limit of 40Hz and the RTi10s have a -3 lower limit of 35Hz. So this latter option would give me a bit more bass and be cheaper than option 1. What do you guys think would be the best way to go with this.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

What is preventing you from buying a seperate cross-over adjustable bass management unit, such as the Outlaw ICBM?

3. Joel McIntosh

OK, nevermind everyone ... I got more inventive about wiring the fronts through the sub's speaker-level inputs. After trying some different plugs and using a little electrical tape, I've got it to work -- everything is feeding through the sub's speaker level in/outs. The bass is much better. Thanks.