What's new

New plasma (Zenith P42W22B/H) performance questions (1 Viewer)

Kevin Eyman

Auditioning
Over the weekend, I purchased a 42" EDTV plasma television; a Zenith P42W22B, and I have a question about how it performs. Plasma TVs seem to be very different then all of the regular tube televisions I've owned. I currently have the monitor hooked up to my DVD player (it'll be another week until somebody mounts it on the wall for me and all of the connections are made).

After I turn the monitor on and start a DVD, the picture gets progressively darker. Eventually, it seems to stop getting darker, as it never gets completely black or anything; it just seems to go from bright to darker over time. In darker scenes, a noticeable white flicker (it's sort of like a subtle, white filter) can be seen as well. After about 15 - 20 minutes, if I turn the monitor off, then back on, the image returns to it's original brightness. Is it typical for plasma monitors to do this? To sort of "settle down?" I apologize if my description is too obtuse to understand, but I'm finding it difficult to completely describe what is occurring. Essentially, I'd like to know if I should wait a few minutes after turning it on to calibrate it. If this isn't normal, and it's a sign of defection, I'd like to swap it for another one before it is mounted on my wall.

Also, this is my first post here at the forums, although I've read a lot of the wonderful information here, so I also wanted to thank everybody for the wealth of information that they are so eager to share. I also hope I've posted my question in the correct forum and manner. Thanks!

Kevin

Kevin Eyman

Auditioning
Well, I've tried using an S-video and component connection from the DVD player with the same results. I've thought that it's possibly the player, too, but have been unable to try a different player as of yet, or a different component. Tonight, I may get the opportunity. I fear, though, that it isn't the player, but the TV.

BruZZi

Second Unit
Not familiar with Zenith Plasmas but some Plasmas brands (like Pioneer and Panasonic) have "POWER SAVE MODE" which decreases the brightness of the screen to reduce power consumption.

There's also a peak limiter - Suppresses image contrast (peak brightness). Check the manual.

Bob Doseck

Auditioning
Kevin,
I see in your title post you have Zenith P42W22B/H. Is your model in fact the /H model? This could help in determining your problem. Let me know.

Thanks,
Bob Doseck
Plasma Concepts
[email protected]

Kevin Eyman

Auditioning

Bob, prior to you asking, I just assumed that I had the standard model. But, now that you've brought it up, I realize I should probably double check and make sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks