What's new

New plans! (1 Viewer)

jessie62us

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Hello,
I am new here to HT Forum but have found many wonderful suggestions and ideas in reading through some threats. I am in the planning stages of my own home theater and would be grateful for any suggestions anyone might have. The room that I will be using is 20’x22’ and has several large windows along one wall. The equipment that I'm planning on using is:
A/V Receiver Sony STR DA5300ES
Blue ray disc player Sony BDP_S500
Infinity Cascade 7.1 surround sound speakers and Sub
Aquos LC-65D64U
My wife has agreed to let me use this room as a theater on one condition, and that is that I don't have racks of equipment sitting in the room or all over the built-in bookcases. I'm planning to use a closet or the built-in cabinets to hide the equipment from my wife. This is not my first choice but we all have to make small sacrifices. Cooling will of course be addressed at the time of installation and I'm planning on using computer type fans to circulate air into and out of whatever space I eventually end up using. I'm fairly handy and feel that I can install and set up everything. The real problem I'm having is this I need some way to control all these different components. I have been researching the various infrared and radiofrequency controllers that are out there. If anyone has any suggestions I would be really grateful to hear how someone else solved a similar problem.
Thanks for reading,
Jesse

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We offer suggestions and ideas. If you don't like them, then we start with the threats.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

If I had it to do all over again, I would use the Harmony 890. It is RF to the base station (which would be in the equipment closet) and IR from the base station to the emiters. Since it is activity based, your wife will love it. No need to remember which inputs for which source.

Take this advice or ignore it. You can get the same quality or better for the same or lower prices if you get something besides Sony. It isn't bad but receivers and players from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha and even Pioneer will be better. And I'm not familiar with your speakers but you should look at getting an SVS sub instead of Infinity. Or even the 7.1 system from SVS. The owners are members of this forum and even decided to go into business together when they met here.

-Robert

jessie62us

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
Thanks,
That's good advice I'll look into it. I was kinda thinking about an RF based system.
Jesse

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks