What's new

New Pioneers ? (1 Viewer)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Best Buy told me last night that I won't be geting my 533 that I had on order. The dept. manager told me that Pioneer was replacing the SD series with new models in April, and that I could get the new one for the price I paid (yup, I'm making payments on a tv that I don't even have yet) for the 533. Anyone know about this, or is BB doing damage control by blowing smoke up my ass??? I can't seem to find any info about new models. And why would they replace a top seller so soon??? :angry:

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Called Pioneer twice today, and got hung up on each time I mentioned the 533. What the hell is going on???? :frowning:

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Several TV manufacturers are redoing their lines. Look for DVI connections (or another digital connection) on the new sets. I'm not sure where BB got the April information but I've heard later than that for the new Pioneers. RPTVs may be a little scarce for a few months. Good luck.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Keep calling and checking it out. What a weird hassle it is being in the know about this stuff. Most people walk into a store and buy whatever the salepeople tell them is cool [best markup and its in stock ;) ] Seriously though, we end up knowing more than the people at the stores and the distributors it seems. Well, good for us, and good for you. Find out what you need to know and hopefully it does have something to do with this crazy DVI and HDCP stuff.
I must say, I've never been hung up on before. When I call a manufacturer or distributor about something thats very new, I usually get the smoke screen and "we'll get back to you as soon as we find out" Maybe its an audio/video industry conspiracy!
So you haven't actually paid in full for this TV you have on order, have you? At least you can still change your mind since you ain't got it yet. Maybe not refund, but at least hold off on the delivery until you get the facts straight.
If you find out there are new models but somehow you're getting the old model, what will you do?

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for responding guys.
Chris, it's not paid for, but the way I had to order it was direct from Pioneer via BB. Weird, but it was the only way I could get one w/the 18 months financing. I will wait to get whatever is coming out. Pioneer is what I want and I guess I'll be at their mercy. I'm sure it will be as good as the 533. Hopefully a little bigger screen. DVI is a concern as well, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be on there. I'm mad at the situation but on a positive note, this gives me a chance to paint the room it's going in. :D
If I wind up getting an old model after they said I'm getting a new one, there will be hell to pay. I believe that's called bait and switch.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ooo. Nice call. If you want to talk legality, in Canada, there is "the Sale of Goods and Services act" and the "Business Practices act". Basically, you can't sell crap if you say its gold, you can't misrepresent things you are selling. Its buyer beware, but when you are made aware, it better be the truth! heheh..
Good luck. I'm sure it'll be a heck of an enjoyable set in the end :)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Jut spoke with Pioneer. They said they had no plans to discontinue the 533 or 643. This means Best Buy is lying to it's customers (me) as well as breaking the law. What to do, what to do. I think I might get the Missouri Attorney General's office involved.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Regardless of whether they are discontinuing the SD533HD or not, did Pioneer say whether or not they were bringing out newer models this year? Remember to try and document some of this stuff. Just get names of the Pioneer representatives and of the Best Buy salesperson. Emails maybe document better than phone calls? Letters are best but slower. What you want is to find out the truth. If you've been lied to, then you want that out in the open too. Perhaps when talking to Pioneer, you should say exactly what is happening, that you ordered a set and you were told the set is discontinued etc etc. Maybe don't tell Pioneer what store you ordered the TV from though, just to ensure Pioneer and Best Buy don't get together.
Remember, leave room for mistakes. It is possible that someone just screwed up, misunderstood or otherwise made an error. But get to the bottom of it either way. Be fair and honest and you should figure it out. I wonder if you can hold them to their word about they're replacing the set with the newer model?
Keep us posted :)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still stewing about it. Not sure how much of a stink I'm going to raise.
The guy I talked to at Pioneer was nice about the whole deal. He said that BB should honor the order. And I got a response from Pioneer via email as well today confirming the 533/643 are still current models.
I think tomorrow I'm going to waltz into Best Buy w/a copy of my email and see what they say. But as I said, I'm not sure how to handle this. I think I have a good case against them if I pressed the issue. I had a thought about seeing if they will knock some dough off the price, like selling it to me for COST for my trouble. All I know is that will be the last big thing I purchase from them.
I'll post the details after I go chew up some Best Buy management.
:D
P.S. Pioneer just said that they "Had no information of a replacement for the 533."

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Fair enough. Well, if you can save some money, then do your best. I mean, the least they could do is knock the price down some or offer to throw in something useful. A free calibration maybe? Cables? A prog DVD player? Or is that already included? Work with me here dude! More stuff for you. Lets just hope you get the TV before having to wait to frickin long.
Good luck :)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Called BB this morning to speak w/a manager and actually did talk to one. He was nice about the whole situation, and looked into my "quandry." I explained the deal about Pioneer telling me there was no plans to discontinue the 533, and he told me that a Pioneer rep was at the store this week telling them about the new models. So now it's the game of who is telling the truth. He made clear that I would get my tv when the "phantom" new model arrives.

The only sense about this that I can make is that maybe Pioneer has been blasted with so many inquieries regarding DVI that they redesigned the set to incorporate it. Who the hell knows.

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
I don't know WHY Pioneer would even bother adding a DVI connection when it's already obsolete. We'll stop this DVI crap, that's fore sure. :emoji_thumbsup:
As Scooter said: "DVI HDTV? Not in MY HOUSE!"

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Not to break in on this thread, or anything, but I breaking into this thread!

Hope BB can take care of you. I certainly have been put though the ringer by them. Now, I making them jump though hoops.

The break in, what sat. rec. has DVI to hook up to the 'new' TV's?

Just picked up the Tosh rec., for $500 at BB, & can still return it. If there is an 'affordable' rec. w/DVI out there, I will.

Thanks 'guys', all the best.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can't seem to find evidence of new Pioneers coming out. I think I'll keep my eye on this set. Perhaps a sale may happen up here and I'll have to wait for that :)

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I called Pioneer's HQ yesterday and left a message with a sales rep. Received a call back today from the "Western U.S Zone Director" of Pioneer field sales. She was VERY nice and assured me I would have my 533 in a few weeks. Now that's what I call customer service. She answered all of my questions about DVI and was very up front with me about what Pioneer plans on doing in the future. When asked about "legacy" product, she told me that it would be in Pioneer's best interest to take care of the people who own non-dvi sets. She said it is possible to upgrade older units, but at a cost to the customer. Not sure what that would be.
They ARE coming out with a new model to replace the 533 this fall, with a different lense system, and better lenticular screen. She wasn't sure about a dvi port, but offered up that they had requested this option on the new models. Apparently that's up to the engineers in Japan, as well as the market conditions. I'm not sure why she gave me all of this info, as most manufacturers hold that stuff pretty close to the vest.
I could have waited for the newer set but with all of the shit I've dealt with, I think 6 months to wait would be an eternity. So I'm happy to report my saga is close to being over.:D
Another guy from Pioneer just called who handles the Best Buy accounts. He wanted to let me know I'll have my tv next week. Wow, what a day!!

Jason Lovely

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I guess that means I'll be waiting until Fall to get an HDTV. Sony is also releasing a new line in the fall.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
I say piss on DVI. I'm going to enjoy my new tv until this mess gets worked out. My only concern is when hd-dvd shows up in a few years we'll all be looking at new hardware all over again. Oh well, it's the nature of the beast. The one who dies with the most toys wins!! :D

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least your set is on its way eh? Cool. Such a massive purchase. Just think of all the time you'll have to prepare for the change over. I mean, what is it replacing? Hopefully you have a 25" TV, right? maybe a 27 or 32". The smaller the set you have now, the more of a cool change it'll be.

Chris Madalena

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris,

It's replacing a Toshiba 27" direct view, so it's a huge leap for me. I'm still flying high from my "victory" over Best Buy. Can't believe that one little phone call started this huge snowball effect. Guess I can't put off the painting any longer!! I'm excited that it will finally be here.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, we're behind you all the way. Reward us with a good review and maybe some pictures of the setup when the SD533HD is in place eh?
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks