o 5 Assignable digital inputs
o 7.1 channel inputs
o All channel pre-outs
o 96/24-bit DAC
o Double precision 8-bit Motorola DSP
o price $475
o Availability March

What stands to me, at that price, is the auto MCACC and
the component switching, "allowing both progressive and interlaced NTSC and HDTV signals to be passed to the television or monitor".

Anyone think this sounds good? I think this sounds
almost too good...

source: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...,92533,00.html

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Too good. My guess is that this thing won't sound any better than the 811, which isn't great.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
The successor to the 811 is VSX-D812K which is
similar to the VSX-D912K but less Watts, no Auto MCACC,etc.
So, the new 912 is probably a couple of notches better
than the current 811.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Better how? In terms of features and a little power? Maybe. In terms of sound quality? I would bet the answer is "no." It would be great to be wrong.

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Wow very very interesting and a great price. Now what is exactly the point of going with say a Pioneer Elite 45tx versus this? I'm willing to bet this will be on ebay for around $300, the 45tx being around $900 on ebay. Is the 45tx really worth an extra $500? I mainly ask because I'm looking to upgrade my receiver in the future and I thought I had decided on the 45tx but now I'm not so sure.

BrianJ>Y

Stunt Coordinator
The 45 should be a significant step up in terms of sound quality...it's sound is very similar to the 47 and 49. If I've read correctly, the 49 has been regarded my many reviewers as one of the best if not the best sounding receivers out there. More so for HT than music I would presume.

Also, the 45 is $825 shipped and if you are on an even tighter budget than try the 43, which many have said sounds identical to the 45 but without the auto calibration (manual one) for $700 shipped, full warranty.

http://www.docdvd.com/index.shtml

scroll to the bottom and click the "click here" for equipment link.

-Brian

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree with Brian. The 43 and 45 would sound a great deal better than the 912, but i'm guessing it's mainly due to the amps. I would be willing to bet that the 912 would make a great Pre-Pro when matched with some good amps, especially with the Auto-MCACC. I'm considering giving this a try some time this summer, probably starting off with the 912 and a good 2ch amp and adding other amps from there.

Anyone else w/ opinions on the 912 as a pre-pro, please chime in :)

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I think Pioneer receivers are great because of price/features, no sound quality, the target market is entry level, and in here, I think they are the best in the market. They will beat JVC, Panasonic and other brands at this price range, and in some cases Sony. But in a tight budget I think pioneer is the best bang for the buck. But this is only my opinion.

I will sure try to audition the 912 and see what is capable of. Maybe it is a good option as the 811 has been for a lot of people here.

Daniel Mann

Auditioning
The 45 is available here in the UK as the VSX-D2011.
I've just bought one as an upgrade from my Pioneer VSX-E06
and it is awesome.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
I have a 45 TX and the sound is fantastic. The processing is outstanding and the MCACC is something I couldn't do without.

Now, I'm wondering if the 912 will have the equilizer capabilities of the 45.

Regardless, when it comes out I'm going to bring it home for a demo and then take it back.

The 45 is a great pre-pro and this thing may be really the best thing that's happened to get peolpe started into seperates. $475 bucks plus another 400 to spend on amps - nice.

Mike

Ben_E

Stunt Coordinator
Mike be sure to let us know how the 912 would stack up to the 45tx, I'm very interested to see how it would do. And I would be surprised if the 912 had an equalizer comparable to the 45tx.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Brae,

The amp is probably the same from the current 811/41. The processing seems to be different since different DACS are used. The biggest difference is the addition of the AUTO MCACC which I beleive would make the D912K a great choice as a pre-pro as well as a great entry level receiver.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The screen is recessed more, the door is thicker, and there are more buttons out side the door. The microphone for auto MCACC is also connected in that picture.

Thanks for the pic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks