What's new

New Pioneer Elites due at Month End-any news? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
I am looking at the new Pioneer Elite RPTVs due out at the end of the month according to my local independent retailer.
Has anyone seen these at Cedia or other shows?
Anyone have any experience with current models?
Thanks,
Lee

Robert_B

Auditioning
I'm looking at the new Elite's as well.... From what I have been told from reliable sources the Elite is as good as it gets for a RPTV.... It will not look as good as the Loewe but it may have the edge during movie watching (DVD or HDTV).
I don't think you could go wrong with any of the new Elite's.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Here is a October 9th press release....
Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. introduced three new rear-projection TVs in its Pioneer Elite line, reinforcing its commitment to the high-definition television format. The three new units (PRO-520HD, PRO-620HD and PRO-720HD) offer consumers the choice of 53-inch, 58-inch or 64-inch screen sizes and will be available this fall. As more families indicate they are staying home for entertainment instead of going out, the big-screen television has become a centerpiece of the American household.
Among the industry's most highly developed HDTV rear projection monitors, Pioneer's new televisions offer exclusive technologies including: PureCinemaII™ film detection, screen mode manipulation regardless of input, four-element lens system, a super-fine-pitch lenticular screen, Reference Theater Mode, multi-scan high resolution CRTs, and a 6500 K color temperature setting. All models are built with a 16:9 aspect ratio and feature five different NTSC screen mode settings.
"With the growing acceptance of HDTV and the increased use of DVD players, consumers have an even greater appreciation for the brightness, contrast ratio and sharp image reproduction of our projection TVs. We've taken the appropriate steps to offer choices in size and functionality with improved technology," said Matthew Dever, Vice President of Marketing and Product Planning, Pioneer Electronics Home Entertainment Division.
Pioneer's PureCinema™ IP converter has gone through a dramatic change this year incorporating advanced features such as 2:3 pull-down film detection and NTSC to 480 progressive conversion. This newly enhanced circuit, Pioneer's PureCinemaII, uses progressive conversion to boost the NTSC picture quality from sources such as DVD, LaserDisc and satellite.
To accomplish this, it first doubles the interlaced signal to a VGA level (640x480). It then doubles the information content both vertically and horizontally, resulting in an amazing increase in original signal density. Combined with the high definition resolution of the CRTs, this technology ensures an exceptionally smooth and stunning picture.
Reference Theater Mode (RTM) allows the HD projection monitor to turn off all image enhancing circuits that were developed for the interlaced NTSC standards, allowing for optimal adjusting of the ideal reproduction of film materials for movie aficionados. When RTM is selected, the "color temperature" is set to 6500 K, enabling the viewing device to reproduce film materials with the most perfect white balance. RTM also automatically turns off scan velocity modulation, sharpness, fleshtone and black level expansion circuitry. These adjustments enable the viewing device to reproduce film materials with natural outlines without artifacts or ringing, sometimes associated with broadcast reproductions.
An adjustable progressive screen mode has been added. In the past, when a 480p signal was input to the monitor, the screen mode was "locked" into the full mode. The new circuitry has been designed to allow for the manipulation of the screen mode, regardless of the signal input.
The PRO-520, 53-inch, rear-projection monitor will be available in October 2001 at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $5,900. The PRO-620, 58 inch, rear projection monitor will be available in October 2001 at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $6,900. The PRO-720, 64 inch, rear-projection monitor will be available in October 2001 at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $7,900.
For more information about Pioneer Corporation, visit www.pioneerelectronics.com.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
We got the Pro 520HD in today. I did a cursory setup. Tomorrow I will go through the set thoroughly. Out of the box it was decent.
I saw the new Elites at CEDIA and they were impressive. The Elite in the High Definition Garden of Delight was stunning. It was next to Mitsubishi and Sony's best offerings and they paled in comparison. The Mitsubishi looked washed out and soft and the Sony looked soft and very dark when viewed off-axis. I'll post more impressions after I've gone through the set and it has broken in for a few days. Regards.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Bill,
Thanks for your comments.
Please post a review this week if you have time. I already know of several members of the forum looking for this.
We had a Elite rep at Sound and Cinema in Atlanta recently and it really sounded like this years models were a big step up due to the new scaler.
Thanks again! :)
Lee

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Lest we not forget, Sony's DRC has been doing this sort of "pixel quadrupling" for a few years.
However, as an Elite 510 owner, you can clearly see what my money's on. :)
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks