New Pioneer Elite DVD Player With High Definition Scaling

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Stan T, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I just saw a new Pioneer Elite DVD Player that offers High Definition Scaling for DVDs, T.V., Cable, etc.

I just spoke with their customer service & they haven't received the new DVD players but they said they should receive them within the next 30 days.

My question to them was to do the high definition upscaling do you have to have the HDMI connection or can you do it through the component cables. The tech I spoke to was very knowledgable & he told me from everything that he has read on the player so far it can do High Definition 1080I through the component cables.

He gave me his name & number & told me to call him back in 30 days & he should have the owner's manual by that time to confirm that for me.

Here's the link for the new product:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...442807,00.html

Here's the press release on it:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...746808,00.html

Does anyone know if the player will allow the High Definition Scaling to 1080I through component cables?

Thanks for your replies.

2. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

3. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Very nice looking player...looks solid too. Wow, a 14-bit, 216MHz video DAC?! I bet that puts out a sweet picture!

4. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

No, from everything I've read, you need DVI with HDMI.

Because of DVD licensing restrictions, no company can sell a player that scales through component. The only company that has tried in the US, LiteOn, has stopped selling their player, the LVD-2001, though with a little luck you might still be able to find one here through a retailer or on Ebay.

However, there are Chinese-made players (including the LVD-2001) still being sold overseas that allow it, and some of the models, such as the DreamX-108 and NeuNeo, can be purchased on Ebay. But now that LiteOn has bowed out from pressure from the Powers That Be, don't expect any major company to ever sell any DVD players that do 1080i scaling through component, at least not without being hacked (the D1 from Vinc. is available that way).

5. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

It doesn't seem to say, but I would assume that the HDMI port also has HDCP copy protection enabled. I wonder if you could use it to output to a DVI-HDCP port (with the appropriate cable) ? I realize that DVI is video only, but would guess that HDMI might be backwards compatable....anyone know?

Mort

6. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

Yeah, they even pretty much say that in their press release

7. Calvin S

Calvin S Agent

8. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

Just for the record, LiteOn is not a small company to be easily pushed around. I haven't confirmed this, but I've heard that JVC owns LiteOn. It's only the small guys in China at the fringes that can't be pushed around.

All this is "strange/absurd". And when did you know Hollywood to be anything but?

Hollywood claims they are losing billions due to theft. But think about it. Do they really? Most of what is stolen is stolen by people who wouldn't buy the product anyway. And most people given the chance to obtain a film in high quility on DVD (or HD-DVD), would rather buy it than steal it, assuming of course that the product is fairly priced. How often do you imagine films on VHS tape were ripped off when they were priced for rental at $70-$100 a film, vs. how many were ripped off that could be purchased at sell-through prices of $10-$20. Hollywood needs to smarten up and stop being paranoid, and instead of paying lawyers, they should use the money to keep the prices of DVDs as cheap as possible and still make a profit, which they are doing right now, bigtime. DVD is making some real crap profitable for the studios.

The record labels overpriced their product, now it's too late for them to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Bottomline: give us early purchasers of HD displays without DVI our 1080i. We shouldn't be punished for starting the trend that has made Hollywood rich(er). And remember, it's just analog we're asking for, not digital.

9. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

I hope I can do the scaling through component. I have the Pioneer Elite 710. It would be a little hard to sell my 65 RPTV just to get the new connection.

I asked the rep at Pioneer & he told me that my T.V. couldn't be upgraded with the new connection because of something to do with UL inspecting.

Only the new T.V.s that are due out the 1st of the year would have them.

Hopefully they'll have the owner's manual posted on the website soon so I'll know if I can do the scaling through the component cables.

10. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

Why do they even bother? The people who want to steal it are going to anyway. Didn't I just read recently that HDCP has already been cracked anyway?

11. Jay Blair

Jay Blair Second Unit

"The people who want to steal it are going to anyway."

Heath, I agree. You are saying succinctly what I should have said, but I had to vent, and it takes time to vent.[​IMG]

12. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Only the new T.V.s that are due out the 1st of the year would have them.

These are already out and on my showroom flor, the tvs taht is. Any ?'s let me know. The players will not upscale through component.

13. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Kevin do you have the new Pioneer Elite DV59-AVi DVD player to know it won't upscale 1080I through component?

14. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It states clearly that it can perform upconversion through the T-Rex chip because of the digital connection, as Calvin stated. It seems pretty unambiguous to me.

15. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Does anyone know if this player has the dreaded 'chroma bug', as most Pioneer players do?

Thanks.

16. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

i have a quick question... is there any way to convert the dvi signal to component? for example, a cable that has a dvi plug on one side and then a component video on the other side? thanks for any input on this.

17. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

>

Nope.

18. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Not supposed to have the chroma bug. Some threads over on AVS talk about it.

Stupid question about scaling: someone said that (all) HDTV (ready) TVs do scaling already. Do they? I have a Toshiba HFX71 (or something), and as far as I know, no scaling. But I'm happy enough with 480p anyway, and it does have a squeeze mode for anamorphic DVDs that I haven't even tried yet.

20. Scott_Tu

Scott_Tu Auditioning

I've had the DV59-AVi for a few days -- it only scales throught the DVI/HDMI port.