What's new

New Pioneer DVD player w/ DVD-audio &SACD (1 Viewer)

PomingF

Second Unit
Hi Jim, greeting from across the world & happy new year. I like to know how does the Pioneer's SACD performance compare to those of the Top Sony's (SCD1, XA777ES), Marantz and Philips. I am still waiting for a combined player before pulling my trigger on the new formats although my collection of their software is growing everyday. :angry:
Also what is the street price (lowest?) for the Pioneer for I still have family back in HK who can possibly get one for me as long as the voltage difference can be taken cared of.
Thanks.
PF

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jim, the only thing I can figur is that these "D" outputs could be for use with Hi-Vision (Muse) capable TV's. Who knows, maybe I could use them? I have a Hi-Vision LD player and Hi-Vision decoder/NTSC converter box. I'll have to ask Brian about this. This is all kind of trivial, but intresting! Even if signals could be routed through my Muse box, I can't imagine a reason to do so.
PF, I'm going to go look at the Chinese Club's (HK) site and see what I can preen up. Voltages aren't a huge deal. I have 100 volt Japanese stuff. I'll check back....

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The DV-S733A is described as having 110-240 Volts. I think that means it will have a voltage switch on the back panel. It costs $5,280 (Hong Kong $'s) at the Chinese Club.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
I don't think I can tolerate that champagne color on the 733A, not to mention no warranty when ordering overseas.

PomingF

Second Unit
Thanks for the info Jim. I will hang around to see if anyone can dig up more about the unit's SACD ability before calling my folks. The price Jim quoted is equivalent to just under $700 US but factoring in shipping & insurance $800 shouldn't be too far off. I bought appliances from home with 110V before without problem although tolerance for highend AV stuff may be difference. Yes, the warranty issue is something to consider but the payback will be multi-regional capability. Hmmm...

Rachael, thanks for the offer for more info and I will be around. Cheers.

Btw, just got back from reading the 7 pg AVS thread and looks like the DV47 isn't going to be as good SACD wise as the SCD777ES (? must be the Asian equivalent of the XA777ES here) at least per the poster's initial impression. Come to think of it that would make sense since both players are dual laser with the Sony for SACD & CD while I presume the Pioneer for DVD & CD. Anyhow until I can solve my massive IC requirement need for separate multichannel players the Pioneer seems to be the only option for now.

PF

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
That's a pretty tough comparison for the Pioneer to be as good as the 777ES model. The Sony is more expensive and doesn't do DVD-A or DVD-V. I would be happy if the Pioneer sounded as good as the SCD-222ES.

I think the Pioneer unit if it is decent makes for a good entry into SACD and DVD-A. There isn't that much software available in these formats yet and in two years or so, players will feature a digital output. So to have one player that does both formats decently at a reasonable price and allows you to avoid the dreaded 5.1 switch is something I would like to have.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
If you are looking for a good price on the DV-47A I'd order it from Soundpros.com in San Diego. I have one on order through them. They should have it for around $750 shipped. They don't show it on their website yet but they will take an order for it.

The last I heard was Pioneer should have them available around Feb. 25 & it will be in the black. Scott & Gary at Soundpros are great to deal with. I get all my Elite equipment from them. This seems like a great player for the price. I'm looking forward to getting into SACD. I currently have the Elite DV-38A & really enjoy DVD-audio. I was holding off on getting a SACD player because I didn't want to be switching wires for the 5.1 input.

I'll try to post my impressions on the player once I receive it.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i for one am very interested in the 47a so i look forward to your review stan. i'll keep soundpros in mind when purchasing. the cheapest i've seen it online so far was $1000 but at $750 it's a steal.

kevin t

PomingF

Second Unit
Alright folks tell me it's a go before I pull the trigger. I am planning on hooking the Pioneer to two Citation 7.1 amps (4 channels each with no gain control). Is this workable or do I have to add the Sony TAP9000 preamp to the mix which will need an additional set of cables. :frowning:
Thanks.
PF

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
PomingF said:

Btw, just got back from reading the 7 pg AVS thread and looks like the DV47 isn't going to be as good SACD wise as the SCD777ES (? must be the Asian equivalent of the XA777ES here) at least per the poster's initial impression.
The SCD-777ES and SCD-XA777ES are distinct models, and both are/were international models. The SCD-777ES, along with the SCD-1, was a first-generation stereo SACD/CD player. Of course, the SCD-XA777ES is a current model that plays multi-channel SACDs.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Just a note concerning the recommendation for placing an order for the player through Soundpros.com. They have added the DV-47A to their website for pre-order as of today. While I'm not familar with this company and although they may be totally legit you should know a couple of things before ordering from them.

1. They are not a brick and mortar store. Their address is a Mail Boxes Etc. drop box. This may or may not be of much importance to some of you, but anyone can set up a web page. You'd be just as well ordering from a dealer on Ebay.

2. They are not an authorized Pioneer dealer. This means that if you purchase from them, Pioneer will not honor the warranty on the player should you ever have need to use it.

I called four different authorized Pioneer dealers in four different cities to find out what the pre-order price was on this unit and all four put the price at $900.00-$1000.00.

The $750.00 price seemed to be just a bit to good to be true and is the reason I decided to check them out. Personally, I'll pay the $900.00 and buy from an authorized dealer. At least I can rely on a valid warranty should I ever have problems with the player.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Poming,
You will have no volume control with your method of hooking things up. So whatever volume is on the disc, cannot be changed.
Get the Sony preamp ;)
Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

So, you are saying that the '47A has no volume control via the remote? Obviously that's the only way PomingF could connect the player to his amps. Unfortunately, too few front-end components have variable outputs, and too few amps have variable inputs.

Michael,

I understand your concerns with soundpros.com however, I ordered from them once, and they are legit. Now, it is true that they are not an authorized dealer, but they are legit in that they stand by their advertised prices and they have new-in-box merchandise.

I always order from authorized dealers when I can, but I ordered a Sony MDS-JA555ES minidisc deck from soundpros.com last year because no one else had it. The only thing that bothered me when I ordered from them was that the 'JA555ES was shipped from Hawaii and was not double-boxed. Still, the player arrived in perfect aesthetic and operational condition. The drawer died after six months, but that is not their fault. In short, if soundpros.com had something that no one else did, I would still order from them. I would just ask where the item would be shipping from and would insist that they ship it double-boxed.

PomingF

Second Unit
Thanks John, Keith & eveybody. Looks like it will have to be with the Sony may be I can get both as a package. Knowing myself that open slot on the Sony pre will eventually lead me to something like the Sony 777ES but until then... :D
PF

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Keith:

Yes. You have channel trim, but not volume pots....

Even an amplifier with variable input levels would be a bit odd to manage, as you'd have to change the channel levels on every recording.

If you've calibrated to a particular detent on the input level, you'd have to remember to set things back to that particular level.

Not unworkable, but the potential for error is there.

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the clarification. I agree that using variable level inputs would be inconvenient. Not unworkable, but inconvenient.

Stan T

Stunt Coordinator
Michael I order all of my Pioneer Elite equipment from Soundpros.com I actually pick up my equipment from them myself. They pickup the equipment from Pioneer in Long Beach. I live in San Diego so they're only about 15 minutes from me.

Pioneer does honor the warranty for their equipment when you buy from them according to Steve & Gary. They have the best prices that I have found on Elite equipment & they're great to deal with. I don't think you'll find a better price on the 47A. I've never had a problem through them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks