What's new

New Pioneer DVD player w/ DVD-audio &SACD (1 Viewer)

Jim Thompson

Agent
Maybe this is old news,but I was shown a fax yesterday

with a new Elite player that should sell in the $1000

range.This player,besides incorporating the Pure Cinema

progressive mode also has DVD-Audio as well as SACD multi

channel.My salesman seems to think it is close to being in

their shop for availabilty.I waswndering if anyone else

has seen this?

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
The model name is the Pioneer 733a in Asia, and 747 in Japan and Europe. Was released in Japan in November of last year and has been on sale in Asia since December. Will be called the Elite DV-47 in USA, retail $1200- though will be less at street price. Contains 3 stereo Crystal CS-4392 192khz/24bit dacs compatible with DSD and PCM streams. Will play most discs, here are a few links to help you:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
Link Removed
Cheers,
Mike

Chip E

Screenwriter
You should be able to get the DV-47A for about $800.00 at a number of places, (authorized) when it debuets.

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I may be getting one of these....but am worried about the possibility of the ol chroma bug issue...

Eric.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"So Chip, when will you be picking up the '47A at Tweeter in DE?"
Lol Keith,
That isn't going to happen.. having bought the RP-91, i'm done for a while.. maybe 6 months from now ;)
BTW, my 49TX receiver is in the computer slated for thursday (tommorrow). When i get the call, i'll email you... Maybe we can hook up. I'm not sure when i'll be able to get over there. I might have to go to Boston Saturday.

PomingF

Second Unit
Guys, any idea how is the A47 compared to the AX10 for the latter didn't fare too well in Stereophile's review esp with SACD.

PF

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
The 47A *should* do better than the AX10 on SACD, since the 47A will convert DSD directly to analog instead of going through an intermediate PCM step like the AX10.

Ryan

Chip E

Screenwriter
Ryan's right. It has a Sony DSD chip in it.. I don't think it's out yet, is it?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Chip,

The Sony IC isn't for DSD decoding. DSD decoding is done by the Crystal Semiconductor CS-4397 SuperDAC.

I think the Sony IC is used to grant access to the SACD content....

Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chip said:
The 47A *should* do better than the AX10 on SACD, since the 47A will convert DSD directly to analog instead of going through an intermediate PCM step like the AX10.
I agree with you from the standpoint that the '47A will perform true DSD decoding. However, the 'AX10 is built like a tank, and I suspect shows overall better internal and external build quality than the '47A will. The 'AX10 weighs around 53 lbs. and retails for $5500. Now, part of the high retail price can be attributed to the fact that the 'AX10 was the first "universal" player, but I have to believe it is also a reflection of the build quality, inside and out. I don't expect the '47A to be anywhere near as high end. How the two players compare audiowise will be interesting. On the plus side, the '47A will play multi-channel SACD tracks.

Chip E

Screenwriter
"Chip,

The Sony IC isn't for DSD decoding. DSD decoding is done by the Crystal Semiconductor CS-4397 SuperDAC.

I think the Sony IC is used to grant access to the SACD content...."

John,

Thanks for clearing that up, my bad.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I agree with you from the standpoint that the '47A will perform true DSD decoding. However, the 'AX10 is built like a tank, and I suspect shows overall better internal and external build quality than the '47A will.
Oh, sure, no doubt. I was just addressing the SACD performance question, which by all rights should improve on the 47A given the direct DSD decode. (Anything's possible, of course...)

The AX10 is doubtlessly a better-built, more solid piece. I agree the actual tested comparison should be interesting.

Ryan

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Brian, who's always looking for Hi-Vision LD's, just brought home a 733 (47A, 747 equivalent) from Tiwan. I know it's glorious gold and region-free. I'm awaiting his opinion on the unit. I might order one out of Hong Kong depending on price mainly. I like gold better and I already have a 100 volt step-down transformer. Pioneer sure has been slow to deliver the black units here. Everybody else has already seen this model, even Europe. I'll proably wait till I've seen a 47A but region-free is tempting!

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
From early reports out of Hong Kong, the DV-47 (733) does quite well at DVD-A, reasonably well at SACD, and the video section is reasonably good: it has the chroma bug, interlaced output is quite good, the de-interlacer is from the Pioneer Elite series so progressive output is only OK. The SACD sound is still up in the air as fair I know, as the reports were not on a properly broken in unit. Lots of talk about this on avsforum.com. I had one on order, but with the questions about the video section, I ended up buying the Kenwood DV-5700, and am enjoying it immensely. Depending on how it fares, I may still buy the DV-47 in the future to be my DVD-A/SACD player.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jim, you ought to go downtown and check it out. If the 733 is equivalent to the 47A and cheaper, I'm gonna get one. If I needed a different transformer, San Mateo Electronics in Kalafornie has about anything possible in stock. Best wishes!:)

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
I've got 733A for several weeks.

Basically, 733A should be same as 47A because they share the same manual. Though, by reading the manual, there are some features exist in 733A and not 47A (and vice versa). Examples are 733A is compatible with SVCD, DVD-R and DVD-RW and it contains a D1/D2 video jack, all these will not exist in 47A.

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator
Rachael, well I'm not sure, but my friend told me that it is an output commonly used in Japan. D2 means 480p (if I remember correctly). There are also D3, D4 and D5. Basically, you don't need to bother with it as I don't think a display with these type of inputs found in US.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks