What's new

New Pink Floyd's - The Wall DVD? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I stopped into HMV today to pick up the Pee-Wee Christmas Special and take advantage of their holiday promotions when I noticed something odd...

a new "limited edition" version of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" packaged in a thin and cheap looking two-fold "Army Of Darkness Boomstick" style digipack in the new release section.

I was in a rush since I was double-parked outside and didn't want to get a ticket so I didn't have much time to check out the specs and from the back cover, they didn't seem to be clearly marked. The only definite extra I noticed, was a full-sized fold out replica poster as it was being advertised on a small front sticker blurb.

I'm just curious if anyone else was aware of this new "Limited Edition" (I certainly wasn't) and if anyone has any specific info on extras, audio, transfer, etc.

I'm almost 99% sure that this is just some repackaging, though I don't know why they'd change the designs so drastically if it was just some cheap marketing schtick.

I just want to know if there's anything new/different between this dvd and the previous collector's edition?

Any ideas?

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Havent heard of a new edition. But the movie does need a new transfer. The current dvd is full of dirt, especially on the opening hallway crawl.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I looked online but never found a new release of the Wall. I sure as hell hope there's not though. I dont want to buy this again; even though I hate the menus.

Ive had a foolscreen VHS, Widescreen VHS, LD and now the current DVD.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez

If I recall from the old LD commentary - might also be mentioned on the DVD commentary - this shot was done with a mirror: camera pointed down, and mirror positioned to achieve the low angle. Dirty mirror...?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Here it is guys, I've found it listed at Amazon.ca (Canadian exclusive?):

http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASI...344429-0222461

This Limited Edition of the 1982 classic features:

- Hi-Definition film transfer from the original wide screen interpositive

- 5.1 Dolby Digital and Surround encoded PCM Stereo Soundtracks from the original master tapes

- "The Other Side Of The Wall": a 25 minute documentary about the making of the film, running commentary from Roger Waters and Gerald Scarfe

- "Retrospective": a 45 minute documentary with interviews with Roger Waters, Gerald Scarfe, Alan Parker, Peter Biziou, Alan Marshall and James Gutherie.

- Deluxe DVD digi-pak designed, to look like the Wall with debossed brick work and see through slip-case.

- Inside, the digi-pak will feature a photo montage of film shots and a reproduction of the original film promotional poster.

NEW TRANSFER???

:eek:

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I found this link to EzyDVD in Australia as well, for which this seems to be an exact re-issue of here in R1... http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/230017

I'm still not 100% sure on exactly what we're getting here, and why?

Could this simply be a repackaging as I just checked some other e-tailers and apparently the original transfer was already a hi-def telecine so is there anything "extra" be found here at all?

The packaging btw, is anything but "deluxe"... it's a flimsy cheap looking two-fold digipack which mirrors the format of AOD: Boomstick exactly.

Anyone have anything to add?

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
That cover art can't be 100% final - the age certificate shown on the bottom right is typically for the UK.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

That's the exact same text as on the back of the original DVD release from 1999:

From those specs, it would appear that only the packaging is different.

DJ

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The DVD is very good, but it has a few problems. During "The Trial", the transfer starts to suffer from interlacing problems. However, most of it looks fantastic.

I'd imagine if CMV made a fresh master from the HD transfer, it wouldn't have these problems.

Does anyone know why CMV even has distribution rights? MGM/UA Home Video released some prior tapes/LD's and even the liner notes mention Turner and Warner Bros.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the version with the "wall" on the art is just a repackage.
i havw both.
i picked up the new one because it caqme with a free mini vinyl lp of a song from the wall from best buy.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Perhaps a PF fan with better knowledge of the chain of title of the band's disc/filmography can chime in but it would appear that Sony acquired DVD rights to the pic in 1999 and shares them with Tin Blue Ltd./Kimbridge Music Inc. (the publishing company of the band or one of its members?). Perhaps this happened in conjunction with the band leaving Capitol and becoming a Columbia recording artist.

Turner Entertainment Co.'s mention in the liner notes for stills and trailers is probably a legacy of the complicated, intertwined ownership histories of MGM and Turner. In other words, perhaps Turner owned the rights to that material and agreed to their use on Sony's DVD with a "courtesy of" credit.

The Warner Bros. mention is just in connection with a 'thank you' to Richard May, a Warner engineer who apparently assisted in some capacity with the telecine. That shouldn't be contrued to mean Warner has some kind of rights position in the work.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The re-release/this thread motivated me to spin my original release on the 'puter while doing some other things online last night.

Damn what a bloody brilliant movie. Noticed some impressive things about the editing and animations that I hadn't in the past.

Looking forward to a hi def vid/hi rez surround aud disc of this.

-p

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

If they made it a two disc set, sending the extras to the second disc, they could keep the PCM track (which I very much prefer over the 5.1 track) and still have higher PQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks