New Pictures of my HT, check it out...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sanchez, Feb 24, 2002.

1. David Sanchez

2. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Excellent setup David [​IMG]
    I wish I owned a home...I want a dedicated theater soooo bad!
    Kudos once again...sweet Home Theater!

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Very Nice I love the entrance way and the Bar Area.

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Great use of track lighting in the bar area, as well as the earthy tones throughout. Is it in a basement? I was always under the impression that basements were rare in GA due to the minimal frost line.
    Also, if you haven't already, check out the Atlanta HDTV site (http://www.atlantadtv.org). They have great stuff about whats coming up as far as HD stations and changes in the ATL area.

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Very nice. Very clean looking and classy.

Bruce

6. David Sanchez

It's a partial basement, around 500 sq feet. The builders just put up dry wall, carpeted the entire area and included zone heating and air. A door leads to a three car garage and stairs behind the movie posters. I extended the room 22" in to the garage for the in wall look. I added all the lighting, molding and tile. The color scheme was my wife's idea. There was no way to get that sofa and TV around that small corner. There is a door to access the back of the equipment. In order to get to the TV I have to remove a 8x4 wall that is just screwed in. I can roll the TV out and move large objects, such as the sofa, in and out of the room. It takes all of 5 min. to remove the wall and TV, and one person can do it. Actually basements are very popular here in Atlanta. The terrain is so uneven that 90% of the houses in my subdivision have some sort of basement.

7. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Damn Dave, you HT is gorgeous! Very Classy!!

8. Jayson klimek

very nice job. well done.

9. David Sanchez

Jayson, I will be very interested in seeing the final results. It looks like you are putting a lot of planning into this one. My walls were up so I had to fish the speaker wires and electrical for the lighting through the walls. Very time consuming. The only other item left for me to add is acoustic panaling, there is a slight echo.

10. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Well done!!
    I´m coming over tonight![​IMG]

11. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Very Sharp...esp. the gorgeous bar

12. David Sanchez

As far as sound is concerned there are a couple improvements that can be made and one that I will have to deal with. The L/R surrounds are 2-way di-pole and too close to the rear wall. This was the only location for them due to the large entrance to the bar. The sound often echoes off the tile floor creating a strange effect. Almost like the sound is coming around the corner. I may eventually replace them and the rear speakers with the Boston Acoustics Micro 90X to get the diffused field sound. I also need acoustic panels; this will cut down on the echo and improve the acoustics. I decided against rack, it was my first choice, due to budget constraints. I had shelves made and painted them black and used shelving clamps. I had a door built behind the equipment and painted the inside black. I just turned around the power sockets and screwed them to the wood beams. A piece of sheet-rock is cut out the exact dimensions of the TV and screwed in. Haven’t had to go back they’re yet, but I will do so soon to clean away dust. Since we lost 22" in the garage the space is a little tight if the car is larger 109". Speakers, except for the center channel, are accessed from the front. The black mesh is stapled around a wood frame and held in place with Velcro. The sub sits below the right channel speaker on a separate shelf. The wood must be nailed and glued to prevent vibration. Recess lighting must be secure as well to prevent vibrating. The white molding was an issue at first, but when you dim the lights for movies it’s not very noticeable. Sometimes you have to sacrifice function for form.