What's new

New Phone Market Share figures tell it all (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Pretty much, that is.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/04/microsofts-windows-phone-platform-gains-market-share-in-the-us-android-now-commands-over-50/

Android breaks 50%
IOS falls 3%
Windows Phone rises seemingly all at the expense of Blackberry, which falls below 1%
Kantar-World-Chart.jpg

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
As much as I love Android (been using it since the Droid 1 on launch day), I really have a concern about Samsung's dominance there. They build a great phone, but are becoming a monopoly. Less competition in the space is worse - so I would love to see HTC, Motorola, LG or anyone else really make a resurgence.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
How many different Android phone models are out there by how many manufacturers? How many iPhone models are out there by how many manufacturers? (I can answer that one...three current models, with three different memory configurations by one manufacturer.)

If any company needed to worry based on those numbers, it would be RIM.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Everybody "not Android" is killing themselves.

When I bought my phone, I refused(after rebate) to pay more than $100.

Android was the only phone.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Dave Upton said:
As much as I love Android (been using it since the Droid 1 on launch day), I really have a concern about Samsung's dominance there. They build a great phone, but are becoming a monopoly. Less competition in the space is worse - so I would love to see HTC, Motorola, LG or anyone else really make a resurgence.
I'd be fine with other Android makers becoming more competitive. What I wouldn't be fine with is for them to file an antitrust lawsuit against Samsung. They just need to make great phones.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
IF Samsung phones start being made like they make their TV and BD players...the market will fix itself... :rolling-smiley:

By the way, have already had a warranty service on the Samsung dryer I bought over the summer. One of the drum bearings shrapneled itself. I was impressed that the service guy, when I called, said...

"Yeah, we keep those on the truck."

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What is notable in that graph Dave is that RIM from 2010 to today went from 30+% to less than 1%. However, the COMScore that you cite is very different then the sale #. I think the COMScore keeps track of how many are actually in use VS the other # which tracks how many are sold in a quarter/month (new activations)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
RIM and MS mobile sales / profits/ market have been destroyed. And before that Palm.Apple has taken most most of the profits. Samsung the rest. And Google is now Samsung's software development house, in effect.I was googling as I was falling asleep :) so I wasn't careful about market share vs sales share. I'd still be interested in seeing metrics over the past decade or so.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Dave Upton said:

I've owned a Motorola Droid Razr for about 1.5 years now, and it's been a very good phone. Motorola has also provided two major OS upgrades since I bought the phone, from gingerbread to ice cream sandwich, then to jelly bean. Samsung may be the Android leader, but I have no complaints about Motorola.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks