New Phillips Universal Player for $600?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Roth, May 24, 2002.

1. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

On page 19 of the current TAS Dan Sweeney mentions a new Phillips machine that does DVDA and SACD using separate data streams. This is the first I've heard of this machine, the DVD-962SA, for $600.

If this is real it might be an alternative to the Pioneer 47A (which I just bought but can return).

2. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Don't know about this unit. I'm not familiar with their track record with respect to DVD, CD or SACD players. I'm waiting to see (and hear) the new Marantz player (8300) when it comes out.

Doug

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Rob,
    Gotta be a misprint somewhere in TAS! I've been following the DVD962SA. It looks mighty impressive on paper, but no DVD-A (unfortunately). Still, it has DCDi progressive scan and a dual laser to optimize Redbook performance...and SACD!not bad at $599 list. Philips has it on their website (finally) after announcing at CES back in January. Still can't fine a retailer (Philips website and customer support were useless in tracking one down). Goodguys.com may have them available in June (great customer support from their management to find out if they will be carrying the product). Rumored performance from overseas (Hong Kong and Germany)... SACD performance similar to SACD1000; very good Redbook performance (improvement from dual laser) and video performance similar to DVDQ50 (hopefully, without the inherent bugs, i.e. freeze frame). It was being sold for ~$475 on-line by PAC-2000 on Yahoo Shopping, but they have since pulled it offline (I didn't want to pull the trigger just yet). Check the Audio Asylum under Hi-Rez for postings.

4. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps Sweeney screwed up. I was very surprised that one of the two SACD heavies would be making a DVDA machine. I was especially interested since I'm using these inexpensive universal player(s) to explore multichannel music. The DVD47A from Pioneer is very good on DVDA but my 9000ES is better on stereo SACD.

This still sounds like a good machine and I wish you luck with it. Like many, I'm trying to optimize the use of my single set of 5.1 analog inputs. If I was sure that mch SACD would have lots of material the decision would be a no-brainer; get the XA777ES, which has won near universal praise for SACD and Redbook.

5. ReneA

ReneA Agent

I just found the Phillips DVD962SA on line. Out of stock for a few weeks,though. The customer service rep told me that the next model is about to hit the floor. It goes by the model number DVD 963SA. Same price as the 962--$499.00. Now the question remains... do I get the NS900v from Sony or go for the Philly?

6. ReneA

ReneA Agent

I forgot to mention that I found it at ONECALL.COM
    Sorry.

7. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

8. Bob Jr.

Bob Jr. Stunt Coordinator

Marty, Legacyaudiovideo.com shows that they have the NS900V in stock for $523.95.

Rene, TV Authority (a sponsor on this forum) shows that they have the 962SA in stock for $459.95. They also indicate that the 963SA is coming in September. You can access their link on this forum's home page.

Good luck.

Bob

9. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

I have the Philips DVDQ50, but it has had some "bugs." I recently discovered my optical input was plugged (I've been using a coax input all this time).

All in all though, it's not a bad unit and the picture is great. I was able to order my DVDQ50 through Circuit City last Christmas for $399.00

Jim

10. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

What a difference a couple of weeks can make. I'm starting to experience the "bugs" with my DVDQ50 that others were talking about....
    Last week I decided I'd try to use my optical output rather than the coaxial output I've used since I bought the unit last December. The optical output was plugged with plastic. I was able to remove the plastic, but started getting a "popping" sound in my speakers whenever I would stop or start a movie.

Since I had the extended warranty (through Philips) they replaced the unit last Friday. Now, the new unit has the random freezing that everyones discussing and in addition, when the picture freezes, I hear a "pop." I contacted Philips again and now they're going to send me a software update. If the software update doesn't work, they'll send another replacement.

Like others, I love the picture on this unit; however, the quality problems are really giving me a "negative" opinion towards their products.

Jim

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Rob , Iknow it's frustrating that the B&K only has one set of 6 channel ins, but if you run 2 zones anyway ,you may just want to get a really good stand alone sacd/cd player and run it as the cd (in "direct" mode) for high-end 2 channel (also outs through zone 2 this way) and get a dvd9000/3800 to run multi-channel dvda...just a thought...