New Peter Gabriel album

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Broadman, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Finally, finally, Gabriel will release Up.

track list:

Darkness (6:49)
    Growing Up (7:48)
    Sky Blue (6:38)
    No Way Out (7:42)*
    I Grieve (7:24)**
    The Barry Williams Show (7:13)
    My Head Sounds Like That (6:24)
    More Than This (5:54)
    Signal To Noise (7:33)
    The Drop (2:59)

Scheduled for end of September, tour starting in November.
    Tony Levin, bass god, is on the album and will tour as usual.

NP: Jethro Tull, J-Tull Dot Com

2. CarlP

CarlP Agent

As a long time Genesis/Peter Gabriel fan, I am excited for this album. The problem is, it had better be the best thing Peter has EVER recorded or I will be let down. Ten years between albums is ridiculous. Also, when will the follow-up to Up be released?

I HOPE that Up can be compared to The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway or heck, even Sgt. Peppers!

NP Roland Orzabal Tomcats Screaming Outside

3. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Where'd you get that tracklist? Interesting that one of the tracks is I Grieve, which is has already been released (City of Angels soundtrack, I believe), and that one of the songs that's previewed on the PG site, Don't Go, is not on the list.

Of course, he recorded 100 songs, so I'm sure he's still deciding on the tracklisting. I'm curious to hear The Barry Williams Show, though.

NP: Mogwai Young Team

4. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

I'm a long time Genesis/P Gabriel fan myself, but as good as The Lamb ? That's a tall order. I think it would be cool if Gabriel toured with Genesis on a reunion tour. It probably won't happen, but it's fun to dream...

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I got the news from www.krimson-news.com
    It states that I Grieve is a little different than the one from the soundtrack.
    What does PG have to do with Crimson? Tony Levin played or plays bass for both.

6. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

It's about time! [​IMG]

7. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

At this point, I'll believe it when I hold it in my sweaty little hands.

Us came out when I was a freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University. I remember riding my bike to buy it and carrying it around campus blasting from my boom box on the release date. I vividly remember hanging out with a bunch of other theatre students in front of the dance building listening to it. Ironically, Up is coming out just as I'm starting my first year as a graduate student at said Virginia Commonwealth University. But this time I have a car and a Discman, so as not to annoy my fellow students.

8. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

I'm listening to Us now. It's hard to believe this album is 10 years old. I remember, I was a sophomore at college and I bought this disc and the debut by some weird singer-songwriter named Tori Amos on the same day.

I can't wait for Up.

9. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

Is anyone else a member of the Full Moon club? Is it possible to listen to past previews? I missed #2 and #3 and would like to check them out now. The present one (#4) has a preview of I Grieve, btw.

Off to check out The Barry Williams Show.

10. MichaelAW

MichaelAW Second Unit

By a mysterious and an anonymous source, I was able to get a preview of Up last night.

I'm presently listening to it now, but I'm only on the third song (Sky Blue). So far, it's nothing special. All three songs sound overlong, and the first starts off just like something from Massive Attack's Mezzanine. The second sounds like something dreadful from Ovo. The third is okay.

Track four, "Don't Leave," just started. So far, so good. But, it's almost 8 minutes long, so we'll see...

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Well, it's street date for "Up" and the long-awaited disc is playing right now. It's hard after only one listen to formalize a definite opinion, but so far I like what I hear. Overall I'd say the album harks back to PG's slightly less commercial work found on the 3rd & 4th ("Security") solo albums. "Up" is a collection of dense, complex soundscapes which will require multiple listens to fully digest.

"The Barry Williams Show", a scathing indictment of a Jerry Springer-style talk show, is an odd choice for a first single. I'd be surprised if it got much radio play, but then there's really nothing on the disc that sounds especially radio-friendly. Not that I consider that a problem, indeed, in my book it's a point in the disc's favor!

My favorite track on first listen is "My Head Sounds Like That", but I also really like "Darkness", "Sky Blue", "Barry Williams", & "Signal To Noise".

I've been a PG fan for over a quarter-century, and it's good to hear this artist can still deliver the goods (even if it took him 10 damn years). Looking forward to other opinions.

12. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks for the review Craig. I will be picking this one up tomorrow for my girlfriend who loves Peter Gabriel. I enjoy alot of his non-commercial stuff so I should get some enjoyment out of this one as well. Hopefully there are more hits then misses for me, but I am sure the GF will love it regardless.

J

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am glad to see a new album from Peter Gabriel. It has been a long time since Us came out. I was a first-year graduate student back then.
    Things are really heating up if you are a Gabriel fan. First, we get the remastered CDs. I believe I read something here about Gabriel albums coming out recently on vinyl. Then there was some rumblings about Gabriel's catalog being reworked for DVD-Audio and SACD. Now a new album. Very cool! [​IMG]

14. Vic_T

Vic_T Stunt Coordinator

I heard a preview of the album on buzztone.com (I've never heard of it, either. But they had full lenght previews of a good 75% of the album). I didn't really care for it too much at that time.

But, being a huge PG fan, I bought it today anyway. Man, am I glad I did. I'm really digging it now! So much of PG's music is in the presentation, and little previews and hit singles just don't do it. You have to sit down and listen to the album carefully. Definitely no hit singles here on this CD anyway, which is a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Can't stand FM radio anymore.

This is a very rich and layored album. Very diversed and well performed. I would say, "Run out and make Up yours," but that would be really cheesy, so I won't.

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Vic said (or would say [​IMG]):

16. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

17. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

So... too impatient to wade through Peter's cute but worthless website... I have a question.

ICE magazine lists "Collection" as an upcoming (Oct 29) 10-CD box set. Does anybody know anything about this? It is to contain all the albums perchance? And will it include this new album? I'd rather not buy it twice.

Thanks.

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

19. Jimmy Nugent

Jimmy Nugent Stunt Coordinator

You were expecting Susudio?

So what you're saying is- it's Peter Gabriel as usual?

The denser and darker the better.

Jimmy

20. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee