What's new

New Peanuts DVD in March! (and an update to the Jan. DVD) (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
March 2, 2004 will see the release of Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown, the special that aired in April 2003. I missed it, but I heard it was decent.

Fans of the classic Peanuts specials will be thrilled to know that "Charlie Brown's All Stars" (1966) & "It's Spring Training, Charlie Brown" (1992) will also be on that disc!

List price is just $14.99

In addition we've found out a bit more about the January 6, 2004 release of A Charlie Brown Valentine: bonus specials WILL accompany it (as they have on all other DVDs except for Pied Piper).

The bonus specials are: "There's No Time For Love, Charlie Brown" (1973) and "Someday You'll Find Her, Charlie Brown" (1981). List price remains at $14.99.

No, it's not Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown or Snoopy Come Home...but it will be great to have more classic Peanuts on DVD!! :emoji_thumbsup: Thanks, Paramount! More, please!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
$14.99 for three specials - well, it's certainly better than 2 for $19.99. Thanks for the good news, Dave!

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I honestly think Paramount is missing the marketing boat on these. Adult collectors are MUCH more likely to buy the March disc for the classic 60s show "Charlie Brown's All Stars" than for a show which debuted 3 years after Charles Schultz's death.

At least the pricing is better.

And yes, where are A Boy Named Charlie Brown & Snoopy Come Home??

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder how long it will take to get the late-1980's 8-episode Peanuts series "This Is America: Charlie Brown" on DVD? What a great series!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
No, that was the classic 1975 television special, "Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown". This is a new special from 2000, the first to be produced since the passing of it's creator Charles Schultz.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Right, Marco. "A Charlie Brown Valentine" was the first new special made since Schultz's death, and "Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown" was the third.

Paramount's plan seems to be to promote the new items as coming to home video, and give you a couple of the classic specials as bonus items.

I can sympathize with Craig's comment that there's a number of fans more interested in the old classics rather than the new specials. Still, as long as I get them, I don't really care what title is on the cover. ;) Paramount is to be commended highly for getting these out any way they can.

Don't forget that there is a new hour-long Peanuts special that airs on Dec. 9th on ABC: "I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown". For those of you that haven't heard about it, the plot is that Rerun, the youngest brother of Lucy & Linus, wants his own dog...and ends up with Snoopy's brother, Spike. That's when the mayhem starts.

I imagine that Paramount will finish up their 2004 Peanuts DVD releases with a holiday '04 release of "I Want A Dog...". Perhaps such a release would also include the second post-Schultz special made: "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales" (first broadcast 12/8/02, and directly based on Schultz-written comic strips). Another good candidate for inclusion would be 1986's "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown".

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Charlie Brown's All-Stars! Whee hoo! I've always wanted to see that one. It was the second Peanuts special, between Charlie Brown Christmas and Great Pumpkin, but I don't know that it was ever rerun.

There's No Time For Love, Charlie Brown is a fairly good one. I think I've got it on laserdisc. I have a particular affection for the pre-1977 specials, since they were all scored by Vince Guaraldi. Somehow they were never the same after he died.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Whenever Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (1980) gets released, it must come with it's 1983 epilogue special "What Have You Learned Charlie Brown?".

After leaving the chateau where they stayed as exchange students in France, the gang visits Omaha Beach in Normandy (where the Allies landed on D-Day in World War II) and Ypres (a World War I battlesite), and Linus talks about the significance of the sites and gives tribute to the veterans who fought in both wars.

The movie was deliberately left open-ended so that a follow up could be done.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Put me in the Snoopy Come Home camp, and It's a race for your life Charlie Brown. I'm seriously behind on my Peanuts DVD buying I need the Valentine and Easter 1 that are both currently out. I may pick up both these releases, Charlie Brown goodness.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My god i caught some of that new Christmas special on ABC the other night and it sure was awful give me the classics please.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
My god i caught some of that new Christmas special on ABC the other night and it sure was awful give me the classics please.
Are you referring to the "Charlie Brown's Christmas Tales" that were added to the end of A Charlie Brown Christmas. That extension has been around for a few years, and frankly, I didn't find it that bad. I'd like to see that small segment on DVD sometime. It's definetely not as bad as It's Christmastime again, Charlie Brown.

I'm very curious to see what that new special, I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown!, looks like when it gets broadcast on 12/9.

Eric F

Screenwriter
There is supposed to be a new Peanuts Christmas Special on ABC next week.

This week they showed the classic one and a few shorts.

Steven Wesley

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Paramount to release three new DVD/videos in 2004 - "A Charlie Brown Valentine," "Lucy Must Be Traded, Charlie Brown" and "I Want A Dog For Christmas, Charlie Brown!"

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Steven, you just confirmed my theory in post #8 of this thread! :D

I was sure that "Dog" would have come to DVD in '04!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Why do they even need to make "new" charlie brown cartoons? I seriously doubt that most of the children today were around when the originals first aired on television...so simply re-airing the original classics would accomplish the goal.

I want *classic* peanuts shows...

dave :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks