What's new

New PC no place to connect slave HD (1 Viewer)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I just got a new Dell 510, I want to transfer some files from my old hard drives to the new pc. I used to just hook up drives as slaves. The old PC has a ribbon cable with a slot for a slave drive. The new pc has a different kind of connection the motherboard. And I can't seem to find an IDE slot for an IDE cable. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can hook up these drives as slaves to transfer some files?

I know that I can get an external HD case and use that to plug in the drives via usb but I'd rather find an internal solution.

There is a ribbon for a floppy drive but I don't think that will work? Or will it?

Thanks

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I assume that means your new computer has SATA drives instead of IDE. If so, you could get an external box, put it in your old pc and connect them in a network to get the files, or get a PCI card for your computer that has IDE slots on it (I'm pretty sure such a thing exists)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Yep, sounds like the new PC is SerialATA instead of the older IDE. A PCI card would let you hook up the IDE drives temporarily (or permanently if you wanted) and are cheaper than buying an external USB housing.

Or you could just network up the PCs & transfer the files that way. Way cheaper, though it might be more hassle depending on your skills/setup.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Cheaper to look for adapters for your old parallell ATA disks. There are little "blocks" you add to the ribbon cable connector and get a SATA port directly on the harddrive. Problem solved, without buying a separate ATA controller.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Kimmo, I will look for some of those adapters. I did go and buy an external HD case in the mean time as my old PCs OS (crappy ME) is messed up and I have to transfer the bill paying data over before I go delinquent. Comp USA didn't have an adaptors like that in the store and I can't wait for an internet order.

MaxCarr

Auditioning
Something that can be tried is using the cd/dvd drive cable instead.

My current hardrive is sata and when I had to transfer some of my files from my older to current drive, that's what I did; since I didn't need the cd/dvd drive for the transfering.

If you want it as a slave, look in the back of the drive where a small cap with opens pins around it and inspect the markings, it should (might) have them marked as master, slave, and cable (shortened), and cap it as marked.

And if your cd/dvd drive is sata, stick with the aforementioned methods.

Max

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks