new PB2+ owner, please help me with my placement, please!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Serge Breton, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

gotta love the PB2+ but i am having serious problems with room nodes. My old sub was a 20-39CS with samson S-700 and it was placed in the front corner near the left main speaker and this yielded optimum bass response.

The PB2+ is so big that i am limited to placement in my small/medium room. Layout is shown below. Placing the new sub in the rear corners present severe room nulls at around 30hz, 65hz and again at 80hz. No equalisation will fix this. My favorite demo dvds have little/no bass at these frequencies so my old 20-39CS performed much better in my room. I am limited to placement with the new sub. I used ETF-5 and confirmed my listening tests and the rear corners are out of the question in terms of placement although ideally this would have been my preference. Putting the PB2+ where the 20-39 was before it is not an option. there are only so many places i can put this sub! Maybe somewhere along the side walls so there is sufficient space to walk by but i am running out of options.

I my case bigger is not better thus far. Any advice to help my untangle my problem would be appreciated. Where are all the bass heads out there?

[​IMG]

2. Serge Breton

let me know if the image doesen't come up.

3. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Picture didn't work.

4. Serge Breton

i am seeing it, anyone else? I cannot post an attachment so how then?

5. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Picture not showing.

Give us the link where your pictures is located. You uploaded the picture to your webserver correct?

6. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

If you stand the sub on its nose with the woofs facing forward and the amp and vents in the air, will it fit into the same location at the previous CS cylinder? It should......

Talk to WayneO - he has a lot of experience in this type of set-up. He placed a picture of his dog on the amp and it obscures the sub cable and controls - looks pretty good actually. And the driver's facing out are wicked cool. SVS is still working on a front grill for this option; consult with them and check the status - otherwise go naked (unless you have kiddies or big dogs). [​IMG]

If all fails, there's always the PC-Ultra as a fall back option.

7. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I've tried this with my PB2+ and I get a horrible rattling sound from the drivers. I get no such problem when it sits upright in the proper position. Any idea what could be going on here?

8. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

nick,
    email tom - something is loose!

9. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Nick,

Definitely email Tom as the drivers should not be rattling if you put the PB2+ on its nose. I have had mine this way for a couple months. The only thing I had to do was be sure I plugged the holes where the baseplate screws were because I was getting some "port noise" from them. I double checked this with Tom and he said I definitely need to plug those holes. Maybe you are hearing the same thing if you don't have them plugged?

Neal

10. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Good call, Neal. I encountered the same issue when I removed the baseplate from the PB1-ISD I recently tested. I had to replace the screws to prevent air from leaking out the holes. I wouldn't call it a "horrible rattling" sound, but the air leaks definitely were audible. I replaced the baseplate screws to plug the holes, and the sub sounded and performed normally.

11. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Ed,
    I was just going to put the baseplate screws back in, but they stuck out a little to far for me to like the appearance. So I went to Home Depot and got some shorter ones in stainless steel to match the drivers and the screws holding in the driver. It looks much better [​IMG]

I heard the air leaks a couple times during The Rundown with the Rock. It actually hadn't made this noise until this movie, and we had watched Matrix, Reloaded, Black Hawk Down, Blade, Finding Nemo, etc. I guess it just finally decided to do it [​IMG]

But its all good now.

Neal