What's new

New passive radiators from Parts Express... (1 Viewer)

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
I just jumped onto the Parts Express website and saw that they are finally selling passive radiators in 12 and 15 inch sizes. Take a look:

15 inch:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-194

12 inch:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-192

They are essentially the same frame and cone as the DVC subwoofers that they sell. From the outside they look identical. The 15" displaces 3.5+ Liters and the 12" displaces 2.1+ Liters.

What is great about them is that they come with a pre-attached bolt for attaching washers to add weight. This makes things so much easier than adding clay etc. It will be very easy to experiment with the weight of the PR's.

Anyhow, I just thought that all of you subwoofer lovers here might like the info. For many folks, these PR's are going to be the perfect solution to a small powerful subwoofer. I apologize if this has already been posted! Cheers...

Chad

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Chad, I've been looking forward to these.
Anyone else model them? They don't look very good to me as far as achieving low Fb in small boxes. The Stryke/Lambda I think are much closer to ideal reflex and have more displacement/Mms capability. Not sure how they compare price-wise. Impressions/alignments?

Steve Fiedler

Auditioning
Any ideas how these compare to the MCM passive radiators? ...I emailed MCM on specs like Xmax (or should say Xsus) and mass loading capacity, they didn't know anything :frowning:

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
As far as I know, the Xmax on those MCM PR is woeful.

Looking at the prices for the Stryke PRs ($45 at the current pre-order), I can't see spending more on the PE models.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
These PR's look good for the fact that they have the bolts to add mass. I have considered doing something like that to ours as well. The only problems I see are the stiff suspension, Cms of .38, and that the bolt sticks way out the back. This may cause problems with the PR hitting braces, etc if you don't take care in placing them.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks