New Parts Express Enclosures

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joseph Sabato, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

I had an opportunity to run up to PE's Catalog Showroom today just to look around at what I see online and in their ads.

They had the new, assembled, veneered bookshelf enclosures (MT and MTM styles) that are new to their line in the showroom.

They are very impressive; well built and braced (heavy!) and had a very nice finish on them. I particularly liked the Black version which was not a woodgrain veneer, but a High Gloss Black, like you would see on a piano. The baffles were a satin black on all models and were radiused to minimize diffraction.

For those of you like me, (I can build a solid box, but it won't be pretty), these are hard to beat, especially at the price. Just thought I would pass on my observations to those of you that can not go see these first hand.

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

speaking of price, do you have one?

I think half the fun is spending the weekend in my basement making the enclosures.

3. Joseph Sabato

Allen,

They start at ~$105/pr for the .25 cu ft cabinets and go to just under $200 / pr for the 1 cu ft MTM's. The .25 cu ft models are sold as a pair, the .38, ,5, .75 and 1 cu ft models are sold individually.

Those that have the tools to do it right (I don't) or that do woodworking for a hobby, can obviously build them for less in material cost, but I doubt that I could find sombody to build an equivalent cabinet for less money, and compared to the cost of equivalent cabinets on sites that offer them with their kits, these are 40-50% less expensive.

My father was a cabinetmaker by trade and built some stunning furniture pieces when he was alive, unfortunately, that talent did't trickle down to me. ( I can drive a nail straight, most times anyway) I build Computers as a hobby.

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Thanks for the information. Did you happen to get a look at the subwoofer cabinets?

Thanks

5. Joseph Sabato

Yes I did. The raw MDF version that requires assembly is 1" MDF all around with 1" MDF picture frame braces inside and was machined to give a very tight fit on all the panels (They left the baffle and 1 side panel unglued for the floor model), again a very sturdy cabinet. The finished ones were essentially the same box ( 3 cu. ft enclosure), but had radiused corners and were assembled and finished with a thick black textured paint coating, not unattractive, but not one you would necessarily show off (and nowhere close to the finish on the small cabinets that this thread was about). The raw MDF enclosure with the vynil " veneer" that they sell would make a nicer looking box in my mind.