New Paradigm's or these DIY?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GarryW, Dec 18, 2001.

1. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

Jun 27, 1999
    I love my Paradigm Monitor speakers! But, I'm itching to upgrade to the Studio line, maybe 60's or 100's, as music listening is becoming a greater percentage for me now over HT.[​IMG]
    I stopped in at Madisound when traveling thru Wisconsin last week and they mentioned that they have a new tower design kit at:
    This is an interesting design by Dr. Joseph D'Appolito for SEAS. The kit sells for $1550.00 with cabinets.
    I use to build my own speakers back in the late 60's and it was very gratifying, although I had no idea what I was doing. Do you think this would be a better alternative versus 60's or 100's?[​IMG]
  2. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

May 8, 2000
    The savings with a DIY kit have allowed me to consider going this route also. Currenty, I have Paradigm Monitor 7 and 5's in my system. A few months ago, I heard the Kit 281 system offered by Adire Audio, and the 281 is a much more detailed speaker. I will build six of these next year if all goes well. The nice part of the kit is the crossovers are pre-built, so you only have to build and finish the cabinets. Each pair costs $339, and Adire has three cabinet designs in pdf form so you can build vented speakers for you main, and smaller sealed speakers for a center or surround.
  3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jun 4, 2001
    Jeff Lam
    You are much better off going with DIY stuff. How much do you think it cost's Paradigm to make speakers? I would say about 1/10th of what you buy them for. After dealer mark up of several hundred percent. Manufacturer profit, shipping costs, etc. You will be much better off going with a DIY kit. I decided to go this route instead of paradigm mini monitors. I got audiophile monitor speakers with quality drivers/components, a custom MDF cabinet w/veneer finish all for about the same price as the mini's and my pair of 5 1/4" speakes will rival any retail speaker at many times its price. I'm sure they will outperform the studio series in clarity and imaging.
    You may want to give a look. They have floorstanding kits and monitor kits. A great value!
    I'm sure they will at least match the thors from madisound.
    Look at the Paradox3 kit or AV3 Kit.