What's new

New Paradigm Monitor line? oooOOoo (1 Viewer)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I just went on their website to drool over the monitor line, because I was thinking about buying a pair, and WOW they look all different. It looks like they came out with a new line. Same names, but the 3 and 5 are different, the 3 looks like the same as the mini now, but with a bigger enclosure, but no longer that big 8 inch driver. I dunno bout the others, they look about the same, but i dont exactly recollect the rest perfectly. Probably some changes here and there. The 5 looks similar, but it looks like it has two different drivers. I didn't have a chance to go through in detail, because I am out the door here in a minute. What series is this now? Any ideas when they may be out in dealers? Im in US, btw. They look nice, and is extra-tasty for me, maybe i can pick up the older line for extra cheap. :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The new line has been available for about 6 months now. They just got around to updating the website.
The information listed for the 3 has an error - it says 6-1/2", but it also says 210mm which is an 8" driver. I've seen it in person.
The 5 now shares the same arrangement that the 7 used to, but it's numbers appear to be identical to my V2s, unless that information hasn't been updated. The new 5s are now bi-wirable.
I hadn't seen the new 370. I'm going to have to go trade in my 270 :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
They the 5 and up (except the powered tower) are all now 2.5way instead of 2 way as well.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
:frowning: I feel like an idiot. Thats what happens when the internet is your only source of information....
So this is V3 then? The 3 looks in the picture to have a smaller 6.5 inch, not that big 8 inch. Well, no matter, I have an excuse to go to my dealer.....they have such an awesome store. :) I try to find excuses to go spend 5 hours in there like every week....Oh look B&W got a new website....lets go see if that makes any of their speakers sound different. Oh, that cable now comes with spade lugs? I guess that means i gotta go watch LOTR on that nice runco projector. WHAT? New vanilla coke? you know what THAT means... ;)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No need to feel like an idiot. :) I just happened to be at my dealer the day the V3s arrived and I got to demo them right out of the box, and then again after they had broken in a little.
If you look at the Mini, which uses a 6-1/2 and the 3 right next to it, you can see that it is an 8", same as the 7 vs the 9.
They the 5 and up (except the powered tower) are all now 2.5 way instead of 2 way as well.
The 7 & 9 were already 2-1/2 way. I think only the 5 has changed, in that respect. Not sure what you consider the 11 and 90P.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'm almost positive the v2 monitor 7 was 2way and I'm confident the 9 was too. The v3 11 is a 2.5way.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The V1 Monitor 5 was a floorstander, and was a 2-driver, 2-way. The V1 7 and 9 were 3 driver 2-way with two poly midbass drivers. The 5 and 7 were 3rd order at 1.8kHz, and the 9 was 3rd order at 2kHz.

For V2, I thought the 7 and 9 received a treated paper driver to replace the second poly driver, with a separate x-over point. The 5 became a 3-driver bookshelf. The drivers are identical, but crossed over differently, so I guess that makes it a 2-1/2 way also.

The site still lists the 5 and 7 as 2way, though it also lists separate x-over points for the drivers, so now I am confused.

I hadn't taken the cover off of the V3 3, and I just noticed that they lost the front port. Must be rear ported now? Interesting.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ah, I see the 3 goofup. Yah ok, so it's still 8. Picture was misleading, and also that fatty 6" that they put there. Hmm. While we're speaking of the monitor line, between the mini, 3, and 5, which would you recommend? The mini seems nice, but i can go a little higher than $350, $400 is about perfect price, but such a monstrous driver kind of seems like it might not be the best for midrange. The five might be a stretch money-wise. I haven't had the time to go in for some listening, i've only heard the mini, and the 7 briefly, and I liked em. Suggestions?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have V2 5s as well as Minis, and I like them both. The 5s are obviously better, but the Minis hold their own. The V3s are an improvement over the V2s. I would not recommend the 3s, but I also did not give the V3 3s a listen yet. Perhaps the boominess they had was solved by no longer having the port on the front. Between the V2 3 and the Mini, there is no question I would go with the Minis.
Suggestion: Get the Minis now, and upgrade to 5s as mains later :D

DonJ

Second Unit
I don't like the new Paradigm Monitor V3 line. Its the grills the plastic mesh doesn't to sonicaly invisible to me.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Seems like the V3's are more closely related to the Studio line now. The Monitor 5 looks a lot like the studio 40!

Nick V

Second Unit
What about the new v3 CC370 vs. the v2??

I have the v2, and I have 'till January to trade it up for the v3. I currently find the v2 slightly muddy sounding for soft dialogue, and was wondering if the v3 is an improvement over the v2??

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a V3 370 and I feel it is an improvement, if only a slight one. I had a 270 before and it also sounded a bit "muddy" also to me. There are a few differences - right off the bat, the tweeter position is better, new style mid-bass drivers with the pointy cones, and possibly a slight crossover change, all of which add up to a bit more clarity across the smaller speakers in the Monitor line, to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks