New Panny 47" - too bright?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lynn Johnson, May 7, 2002.

1. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone...I just got my Panny 47wx49 over the weekend, and tweaked it just a little(killed the red push), but according to the known tweaks at Brett's Panny site, the brightness should be set to 31 in the user settings. For me, I see details well around 38 or so(this is for my Denon 1600 dvd player), but I want to avoid burn in. Any ideas? Is this too bright - ie. am I gonna have burn in problems? Thanks a bunch!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

You got half of it ...

The User brightness is set to 31, but the service brightness is set to whatever is optimal for your set.

The too bright description is usually an indication that the contrast is too high ...

Set it to 31 and take the service contrast to between 0 and 5.

Regards

3. Lynn Johnson

Lynn Johnson Stunt Coordinator

When you say 0 and 5, do you mean 00 and 05? As I am a total newbie here. I also see the things like 5e etc. Also, when I go into the service mode, I see that the 480i mode is highlighted. My question is, if I change the service contrast, is it going to affect my 480p and 1080i output? Sorry for being such a newbie, but I gotta learn somewhere, might as well be from someone who knows what they're talking about, right? Thanks again.

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I just got this set myself and tried the tweaks on the same sight and the colors seemed washed out after the tweaks. I monkeyed around a little more and found a pleasing picture. Still, feel like I am doing something wrong.