New Panasonic receiver with digital amps owner's manual now online

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Danny Tse, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

2. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

well... that bites - the bass management is adjustable to 100, 150 or 200 Hz. Same minimum cutoff as the previous models.

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Yeah, I saw that when I was clicking through the pages.

I think it's just a new look for the XR25, but now, there are vent openings on the top.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I caught that in the discussions about a week ago on another forum. [​IMG]

I can't believe Panasonic can build such a fantastic unit, but didn't provide additional low frequency cut-off points.

I was waiting on the specs for this receiver, but when I found out the limitation on the crossover end, I purchased a new Yamaha instead. Maybe, at some point, Panasonic will read these threads and *see* what people really desire in one of their receivers. Or, maybe, they'd hold a focus group and invite some of us to attend to provide our input. [​IMG]

5. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This is just a theory but I think Panasonic and other companies sticking with 100Hz as a minimum x-over point are simply covering their butts.

Ever watch a 6.5" woofer in a satellite at high volumes (i.e. in a typical 15X20ft room; normal conversation impossible) when it's crossed over at 80Hz? Most look like they are going to launch themselves right into the room. Can you imagine how a 5 1/4" or--gulp--a 4" woofer would react??? I can already see the lights on the customer complaint phones lighting up right now: "My speakers now only make this weird buzzing noise and smell like burnt plastic........"

Sure, this wouldn't affect older folks listening to Sinatra but what about younger people cranking up Tool, Outkast or The Matrix?

I'll bet if Panasonic came out with a "loaded" line of receivers marketed to HT hobbyists, there would be a lower x-over frequency choice.

LJ

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Lance,

You've brought up a good point. After all, us "HT hobbyists" are still a very small minority in the grand scheme of theater/audio.

7. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Its all about control. They could easily make it difficult to select 60 hz or 80 hz crossovers and make sure the OSD or LCD on the receiver said "Are you Sure?" a few times stressing the need for large woofers. 60 or 80 hz crossovers is all you'd need to make audiophile home theatre folks satisfied. The more control the better, but 60 or 80 would be fine I think. As for me, I used to complain about that too. I would like one of the above crossovers. As it is, I've replaced my receiver, which I think may have been responsible for my lousy bass. I'm experimenting between using the 100 hz crossover, and overlapping the bass a bit between the fronts set LARGE and the subwoofer crossover at 50 hz. My fronts go down to 32 hz - 3 dB. I set the FRONT = LARGE and use SOURCE DIRECT. That way my main speakers do work full range, and the LFE comes out of the fronts and subwoofer. There is an overlap. I'll compare how it sounds.

This setup has the benefit of being the only way to "add" the subwoofers bottom end extention in most receivers SOURCE DIRECT mode, since most SOURCE DIRECT modes for regular 2 channel CD omit the subwoofer channel. Using the pre-outs gets around that but overlaps subwoofer and fronts, unless I find a crossover for the subwoofer below 50 hz.

8. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Guys,

these pany recivers, how do they sound? They look deceiving. but im willing to try all kinds of differnet products. for my Main theater, I am getting a Sherwood Newcastle amp and receiver. They are great units. but this would be cool for the bedroom.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Steve,

According to the buzz over the internet, the previous generation of digital amp-equipped Panasonic receivers, the SA-XR25 and XR45, are amazing sounding.....when used in stereo mode and a source connected to them digitally. In that situation, the signal from the source will remain in digital form until the speaker output. According to a group test in a recent issue of Sound and Vision, the XR45 puts out good power. Even putting out more power than a comparable Yamaha. So, these Panasonic receivers' weight and size are truly deceptive.

If you do a search on these models here at HTF, there are links posted to the Sound and Vision test report and various (extrememly long) threads to discussions of these receivers at audiocircle.com. The inmates at audioasylum.com were ga-ga over these receivers as well. I believe Boulder Cables is offering a $700.00 mod package for the $300.00 (street price) XR45.

I tried a XR25 at Circuit City and it does sound extremely good. I am not owner of one but I am also very much interested in the technology and its implementation. I hope Panasonic doesn't mess up a good thing they've going.

10. Chris Purvis

I have a separates system in my main theater - with a digital source and dolby digital or dts soundtrack material I could not tell a difference between the XR25 and my adcoms. And I am picky.

11. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

I don't know if that's really what's worrying Panasonic. After all they sold plenty of receivers before home theater and bass management existed, and those small woofers posed the same problems then. I had a pair of Boston A40s (6.5" woofer) I ran on a Technics receiver all through high school and most of college, never had a problem. That was when Technics was actually well built, not like the later stuff.

I do want to hear one of these new digital ones. Would be nice to replace my large heavy HK 7200 with something as small as that XR50.

12. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Photo of upcoming top-of-the-line Panasonic SA-XR70 here.

13. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

~Nevermind, its 3AM didnt read through entire link [​IMG]

14. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

DaveT, I should have added this line to my post:

"To non-hobbyists, if they choose "small" satellites on their receiver and the manual says this will filter out low bass, IMO many will think it is now safe to really crank up the volume."

And maybe it's just my imagination (I'm too lazy to check the specs of older speakers) but it seems like the x-over points for tweeters in many small speakers are going up the past few years--is this maybe to protect the tweeter from high power levels they might encounter in a home theater system?

LJ

15. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Amazon.com seems to have the Panasonic SA-XR50 in stock now.

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

This is worth looking into but I hear the surround options are limited.

17. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

If it sounds as good as the people say, it would be great for a bedroom system because of the small footprint....

18. Chris Purvis

I'm not sure what you mean by that - these new models have everything current including Pro Logic IIx...

19. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

One guy from AVS Forum ordered it from amazon yestarday, shipment is confirmed and he will receive it tomorrow, I think amazon hasnt got silver yet but they have black ones.

so rush guys before they sold out [​IMG]

20. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

Just ordered one yesterday too but still awaiting confirmation. I replied to a thread on audiocircle.com on the XR50. The XR50 should be the replacement for the XR45 because the specs on manual has it as 9.3lbs, same as the XR45. I think the XR70 is a entirely new unit