New panasonic dvd players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stefan A, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

I just called panasonic to find out some more info on the dvd rp62 and 82. I was specifically inquiring about how the 62 is different from the 56 - and how the 62 is different from the 82.
    According to the rep, the 62 adds ability to read WMA files, a zoom feature, and the player itself is thinner -as compared to the 56.
    The 82 adds dvd-audio and has a built in DD/DTS decoder.
    I have been considering getting the 56, but now I have to decide if either of these new players are worth the wait. I have zoom on my TV and I don't care about the physical size difference. Is WMA support really worth it? I guess the major decision is do I want a progressive player that has DVD audio and the Sage/Faroudja chip like the 82 will have.

2. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

Hey Stefan,

I've been battling with the same issues. I've been trying to decide between the Toshiba sd5700 and the panasonic 82. I'm test driving the 5700 right now and seems great especially compared to my first generation Pioneer dvd player. Problem is no one has anyone details about the 82 here in Canada except for what u mentioned. Go for the 82 if you want dvd-audio. I'm drawn away from the toshiba because of the chroma bug issue and that's it.

good luck.

Anyone know of more details of the features on the rp82 coming out from Panasonic at all? Much appreciated.

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

4. keithm

keithm Auditioning

I really want to buy the RP-56 but am waiting to see if the RP-62 will add a coaxial digital output. Does anyone know if this will be implemented on the RP-62 or RP-82?

Keith

5. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

anybody know if the new panasonic dvd-audio players such as rp-82 will include bass management and if so what will the cut off frequency be set at?

6. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

7. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

John, am I reading those correctly that the RP-82 will have the zoom function for 4:3 and non--anamorphic, but the RP-62 will not?

8. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

9. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

When should the rp82 be out?

10. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I believe the rp82 is essentially the denon DVD-1600

11. derekyeu

derekyeu Auditioning

Will the Panasonic has the dolby headphone function like the DVD-1600? I really want the dolby headphone function since I use a lot of headphone for late night watching.

Derek

12. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

I'm still wondering when it will be coming out. Anyone know?

I hope the dvd audio is better than the toshiba 5700 I have now.

13. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Robert, they both seem to have a ZOOM button on the remote, but I have no idea if the functionality is identical.

Peter, the RP62's should show up in stores around mid-May. The silver RP82 is shipping in July, but they have no info on the black ("they" being Panasonic Canada). The 5700 is supposed to have excellent DVD-Audio performance!

14. peter_i

peter_i Second Unit

Mmmm, I don't know, John, come on over and listen to it if u want. I connected the player through the rca's into the 5.1 and still sounded just not right. The 5700 has hdcd which didn't seem a big deal and the dvd-audio was just ok. The video performance though is nothing short of brilliant especially in pro scan.

I just really liked the rp52 when I took for a test run and the dealer where I bought the 5700 said I could exchange for the rp82 when they come out. Also, the rp82 also has the Faroujda chip and the 5700 doesn't, so something else to think about. I know that when and if I return the 5700 to this retailer, if the rp82 is cheaper he won't be willing to give back a refund, so hopefully it's the same price.

Whew, talk about longwinded!

15. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

I wonder if the RP82 zoom control is going to be "any good" and will it also work on anamorphic material to eliminate the upper/lower black bars for progressive output?

By "any good" I mean like in the Malata or RP91? If the zoom is good enough so you can leave it on all the way through the movie, then I believe that the RP82 would be the first player ever to combine the Sage/Faroudja deinterlacer with good zoom.