What's new

New Panasonic DMR-HS2 hard drive DVD-RAM DVD recorder unveiled. (1 Viewer)

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Linky
PANASONIC INTRODUCES COMBINATION DVD RECORDER WITH HARD DISK RECORDER
Offers Up To 12 Hours Of Recording On DVD-RAM, Up To 52 Hours On Internal Hard Disk Drive, Simultaneous Recording and Playback
NEW YORK, NY (June 25, 2002) - Panasonic announces its first DVD recorder with built-in hard disk drive . By combining a 40 GB hard disk drive with a DVD recorder, new model DMR-HS2 can record a maximum of 52 hours of high-quality video on the hard disk drive in the EP mode, 12 hours on a 9.4GB double-sided DVD-RAM disc, and 6 hours on a DVD-R disc. Panasonic plans to introduce the unit in October, and is targeting a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of $1199.95*.
"With its flexible video recording, playback and storage capabilities, the new DMR-HS2 provides a whole new way to enjoy the world of digital video entertainment," said Alberto Reggiani, Panasonic's National Marketing Manager for DVD products. "Consumers can record, store and edit hours of video, from their favorite TV programs to home movies. The DMR-HS2 lets them enjoy the removable storage and editing advantages of DVD-RAM and DVD-R, as well as the convenience and large capacity of a hard disk drive."
Users can concurrently view programs recorded onto a DVD-RAM disc or the hard disk while recording another program. Users can also view the recorded portion of a live program, from the beginning, while continuing to record that program in progress. In addition, the unique Time Slip™ feature allows viewers to replay a scene recorded 30 seconds earlier without disrupting the recording process, simply by touching a button on the remote.
Auto Renewal Recording, a PVR-like function, allows consumers to automatically record their favorite show every day or every week onto the hard disk.
Creating an original video on DVD is easy with the DMR-HS2. Its DV input terminal and IEEE cable allow recording of digital images directly from a digital camcorder onto either a DVD-RAM or DVD-R1 disc. To make editing easier, the DV Automatic Recording mode automatically creates a playlist, consisting of still images representing a sequence of scenes. High-speed recording from the hard disk to a DVD-RAM disc can be done with the touch of a single button, enabling 12x speed in the EP mode at its quickest (for example, a one-hour program can be recorded in just 5 minutes). Recording from a DVD-RAM disc to the hard disk drive is also possible.
In addition to recording new video content, the DMR-HS2 also allows consumers to transfer their favorite VHS tape recordings to space-saving discs or the internal hard drive. Personal movie libraries and family videos can be archived, preserved, easily cataloged and accessed. The unit can also be used for storing and viewing digital still photos2 with PC card slot.3
The DMR-HS2 features Progressive Scan, delivering optimum picture quality when viewing a DVD movie.
The DVD video recording technology used in this new unit complies with the DVD-RAM recording formats standardized by the DVD Forum. DVD-RAM provides a single format for computer and video-based applications. The format offers high storage capacity on removable media, high-speed data transmission, exceptional picture and sound quality, fast, random access memory and rewritability up to 100,000 times.

With a hard drive, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, Firewire, and PCMCIA slot, I think this is the machine for me. Hopefully I will be able to get it for under $700 US. The other option is the Toshiba, but I think it may be more expensive.

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
Very interesting, thanks for the post. I assume it will require a ReplayTV subscription of some sort?

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
Oh man! DVD recording and Tivo-like abilities. That is one rockin' piece of equipment. Would it necessarily have to have a subscription service for the Tivo capabilities? I mean it makes sense from a business vantage point, but technically it doesn't have to, right?

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I have no idea about subscription services. I don't even have cable, and I'm not up on this stuff.
(I live right by the CN Tower, and my OTA reception for just basic non-HDTV programming is significantly better than cable.)
It's also of note that Panasonic has just announced a DVD Multi PC drive.
It supports DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, DVD-R as well as CD recordable formats.
See here.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
The Panasonic recorders with hard drive do NOT have programming subscription data; it is not a Tivo or Replay TV. You have to set up all of your recordings manually, and it does not have the ability to use an IR blaster to change the channel on a cable or satllite box.
The hard drive in the HS2 has application beyond timeshifting. In addtion that what which you record from cable/satellite/OTA with the HS2, copy in your laserdiscs, your VHS recordings of TV shows and your camcorder recordings. Then perform non-linear editing, get those commercials out, tighten things up, make playlists...after which you can burn multiple identical DVD-R and DVD-RAM copies of your creation, without an extra PC drive.
I won't buy a settop DVD recorder without a hard drive. It makes too much damned sense.
The Toshiba as announced does not have firewire. It is worth noting that the firewire connection on the Panasonic may only be capable of using a DV camera as a firewire source; I'm unsure if it would work with SDTV programming from a firewire-enabled settop box.
It looks like there is a decent chance that both of these DVD recorders may be an excellent (iScan quality) 480p Sage/Faroudja doubler for just watching external laserdisc, cable, and satellite (and even non-Macrovision VHS). Watch all of your analog sources via 480p component, and stop using that questionable doubler in your TV.
I still think it's a hell of a value for what it does, and plan on picking one up. The ability to read digital photos is a nice bonus.

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the Toshiba RD-X2 will be priced at US$1500 with no Firewire. I can do without the 80 GB drive and get a 40 GB instead on the Panasonic DMR-HS2, with the extra features of the Panasonic, for less money.
I suspect the Panasonic Firewire will be input only. It'd be nice to have both input and output however, like the Pioneer 7000.
I guess I'll still be keeping my Panasonic RP91 though. These recorders don't do DVD-Audio playback. (And like I've said before, my TV isn't happy with the Sage de-interlacer, so I need the RP91's scaling abilities.)

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
Very Nice. I was steering away from DVD-RAM drives because of compatibility, but with the hard drive now I can create my videos and just put them on a DVD-R. This now tops my list, and will be the right time frame since i was looking to buy one in 4-6 months.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Here are questions I sent to somebody selling the DMR-HS1 imports (basically the same functionality without the card slot for digital photos).

Norm Lalonde

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking forward to this player as well. I've been wondering if I should get the DMR-E20, but I'll wait for the HS2.

Hopefully, I'll be able to get one shortly after Christmas.

Norm

CraigL

Screenwriter
This may just push me over the edge.

Does anyone know anything about this retailer? Are they reliable? This is too good to resist.

When are they supposed to come out?

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
I've never ordered anything from this etailer, but i'm sure you could find some reviews. Last I heard, the panasonic harddrive/dvdr is supposed to come out in October. Who knows when they will actually start to ship. I'm still saving my money though, so I'm hoping soon!

Chuck Antinoro

Auditioning
Any info on the dmr-hs2 would be appreciated:

Does creating a playlist on the HD mean creating chapter marks and basic on-screen navigation (obviously nothing fancy like on DVD burning software)?

If so, does chapter mark and on-screen nav burned to a DVD-R play on players other than dmr-hs2?

When transferring from HDD to DVD-R and vice versa, is there any degradation?

I know this is a hairy topic, but any idea what is more compatible, DVD-R or DVD+R? I've heard so many conflicting reports.

Thanks

Chuck Paskovics

Stunt Coordinator
From what I can tell, you can 'build' your project on the HD first and then burn it to DVD. No, there should not be any degradation in the quality since it is digital (I know there is no degradation when copying from a DVD-RAM). I don't know about the playlist or nav screen. You can set it up to 'auto' which will create an index of every 5 minutes of the recording. This should show up on regular dvd players.
As far as compatibility, from what i've read DVD-R and DVD+R are about equal. There are numerous topics in this forum, just run a search.
You can see numerous specs in the following links:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1376864653
http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/deta...mail,ECOSTCNET

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks