New Panasonic AE200 and AE300 confirmed. Just a matter of time.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

2. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

That off-axis mounting is too-cool! It's exactly what I need.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, lots of neato features. I hope the AE200 and AE300 come to North America. Not too many people use keystone though. Don't you want to avoid that altogether? Anyways, they have really cool specs. The AE300 looks like a killer machine [​IMG]

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I used the keystone correction on the AE100 at home, but I didn't really care for it so I changed the height of the projector instead. The keystone correction leaves a visible border around the actual image that I found distracting. I hope this isn't the same thing. Alan Gouger at AVS said this about a new projector coming soon from another company: "It also has true lens shift up/down/left/right. This is a manual lens shift that moves the lens in relation to the panel so there is no keystone created." I was hoping this was the same technology.

I also wonder about the increase in contrast ratio over the AE100. The AE300 is 800:1 and the AE100 is 500:1. Does this mean the blacks are blacker or just that the whites are whiter? Could be either - could be a bit of both, I guess.

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Who knows. I hope they come out here soon [​IMG] ..someday at least [​IMG]

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

The price of the AE100 is dropping. Converted its now less than $2000.00 in Canadian Tire Coupons!! And that includes shipping to Canada. From Price Japan. They also have prices for the AE200 and the AE300!

7. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

do you guys prefer a projector over a high end rear projection 50" hdtv?

Like would you take a projector to project a 50-60" image instead of a pioneer ELITE?

8. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

elMalloc - I've decided to go the front projector route over rptv because many have recommended it and because I like the idea of not having to move a massive rptv and the adaptabilty (screen size, etc) you get with a projector.

I've had my eye on the ae100 from pricejapan but now they have dropped the pixel warranty on it because it is being discontinued, which makes me think twice about buying one. I'm not sure what kind of support you are going to get from Japan with a discontinued projecter, even one that has dropped beneath $1,300 U.S. (!)...

Chris PC - where do you see prices for the ae200 and 300 on the pricejapan site? I don't even see those projectors advertised on the site, much less prices for them.

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Go to "How to find the lowest price in Japan" on the left and then go down and click on Panasonic. The main webpage just shows the current Hot Items. I can't post a link because it looks like its a java script.

10. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

3 days with the AE100 and I never wanted to go back to my finely tuned Toshiba 61" HD RPTV.

There is something to be said for 92" of real estate.

The mental struggles was like this:

Pros FPTV over RPTV:

Big!
    Less Space in the Room
    No geometry flaws
    No colour shift
    No sweet spot to sit in
    More theatrical ... projected higher
    See more details in the image

Cons FPTV versus RPTV:

Slightly worse grayscale
    visible pixel structure ... but I see scan line structure on the RPTV that bugs me too. Hence a wash here.
    dark gray blacks (in the black bars only, not the movie content)
    Vertical movement artifacts

you have to make up your own mind.

regards

11. Dave_Olds

Dave_Olds Stunt Coordinator

12. James Zos

What do you all think about buying an AE100 now that it is being discontinued? Would that be a foolish move in terms of support, etc?

And since I've never owned a projector, could someone tell me what makes the AE200 better than the AE100?

By the way, David, I've been to your site. It's one of the things that convinced me to go with a projector, the AE100 in particular, in the first place.

13. Dave_Olds

They are all gonna be discontinued eventually and in this day and age - quite quickly....its like buying a computer was back in the days of 486's....waiting is never gonna end for the pinnacle....

Here is my thought.....I do not regret my AE100 purchase because I fully plan on replacing/upgrading in 3-5 yrs... Trust me on this - the AE200/300 wont be anything in that time frame - in fact, I dont see anything in the 200 that makes it anything but a cosmetic upgrade...The same warranty is in place for the AE100 even as its discontinued - one year....But I would consider this - buying an discounted AE100 in US vs a 200 ....To me that makes sense as someone who paid the price to replace mine...The return cost is substantial.

As for dead pixel policy abolished - non-factor....How can you *ever* justify sending back a $1400 projector for a dead pixel or two when the return costs will be 1/4 the total price of the PJ?...Especially when streaked panels are more of an issue in the first place....

I love my PJ. For movies its excellent....For games on the Xbox its a freakin blast that cannot be replicated in anyway....5-6 people can be scattered all over the room confortably and watch/play.....For TV its passable - the big screen is fun for sports....For what I want and love - fun - the PJ is great....I cant say I am a videophile at all....But I attempted to do that "critical viewing" thing and quickly dismissed it - its just better to have fun....

Thanks for the feedback on the site...I put it there just to show you can do this from a "Joe six pack" budget. There are some xbox pics uploaded this week under screen shots....And if you ever have a question/opinion needed - feel free to ask me directly via email or pm....

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Well that was a short lived opportunity.

With NO "no-dead-pixel" policy, I can't justify trying for an AE100. This sucks. Now I'm stuck having to either pay for an AE200 or go for broke with the AE300 or a 75U.

15. James Zos

Thanks for the offer, Dave - I'm definitely going to take you up on it once I'm ready to purchase, seeing as how I have a lot of questions ... I will probably get the AE200, but I'm not quite sure. My soon-to-be-wife and I will be buying a house in a few months and plan to build our own home theater. Like I said, your site has been an inspiration. (Gotta get a tripod for those screen shots though!)
    Thanks again!

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I would have thought "dead pixels" are a factor because most AE100 owners over at AVS who had dead pixels were affected by them and not everyone could "fix" the problem on their own so they sent them back.

17. Dave_Olds

The "Led of Death" was more an issue for returns....The only dead pixel return was mine that I know of...When I had two spaced out, they werent noticeable ...I returned it when two got stuck together....even then, I totally regret it...It set me back $300+ bucks and the one I got in return was worse....Has dust blobs or something and streaked LCD panel...If I had my druthers I would *much* rather have a stuck pixel as individual stuck pixels (if blue) are not noticeable further than 6ft away....

DRS has a red one that crops up now and then - other than those two instances, I didnt see many reports of serious bothersome stuck pixels...

18. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Hmmm. So I wonder if its worth the risk to go for the AE100 instead. I wonder if the AE200 is going to be worth $200.00-$400.00 more CDN.