What's new

New owner of Sony 70 inch XBR2 SXRD, have question about up-conversion (1 Viewer)

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all,

I'm a proud new owner of a Sony 70 XBR2 SXRD, and I must say I love it! What I'm curious about is how do you know if a 480i or 1080i source is being up-converted to 1080p? when watching non HD (480i) programs on DirecTV, the info on the Sony XBR2 only says 480i. On HD programs it says 1080i. Once a signal is up-converted is it supposed to say 1080p on screen?

I know that the 1080i images I've seen on HDNet/HDNet Movies is amazing, but I'm not sure I'm getting the full benefit of what this TV is capable of. If there is something I need to do to activate the TV's internal scaler please let me know. Your help will be appreciated very much.

Thanks,

Seth

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
the number shown is the original format of the source. the only time you'll see 1080p is when you feed it a 1080p source.

EVERYTHING is scaled to the resolution of the set, which is 1080p. (I hope you have a 1080p source if you bought that bad ass monitor)

What you need to learn is that if you only have 480 interlaced lines it can never look as good - no matter the scaling - as 1080 full image lines.

Seth V

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisClearman,

Thanks for the most helpful info :) Actually I don't have a 1080p source (yet), but I ordered a Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player and am expecting delivery Monday. Once the XA2 is in place then It'll be 1080p out to 1080p in. I can't wait!! BTW I LOVE this TV!!! HD images from DirecTV are so incredibly vibrant and 3 dimensional, It's jaw dropping! This TV has got to be the best HDTV I have seen! The Black levels on this set are friggin' incredible, and easily matches the blacks I got from my 65 inch CRT Mitsubishi HDTV. As you can tell I'm in HDTV heaven :)

Thanks again!

Seth

Ian Alexander

Auditioning
The A2 does not output in 1080p, only 1080i.

Edit - Sorry, I didn't realize the XA2 was out. Never mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks