What's new

New Outlaw product in the next 2 days??? (1 Viewer)

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
The 755 is just the icing on the cake for me. Makes deciding what amp I want to pair with the 950 that much easier!

Not if they would just offer a "black" button option!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Well, the March newsletter is out (actually quite close to the day they said it would be, but I'm sure some people will gripe about this) and now some of the rest of the story can be told.

As many of you know, I've been in the market for some new amps to replace the amp sections of my soon to be departed Denon 5700. I mentioned this to some of the Outlaws and even tried to purchase a 750. To me the 770, while looking like a great piece, is a little bit of overkill at this time since I love my 3 MA700 Marantz monoblocks and don't intend to get rid of them any time soon.

To my surprise (and pleasure) Outlaw told me (and asked me not to say anything until the product announcement) that 750's we no longer available but if I could sit tight for a bit (no problem) they would soon be announcing a 5 channel version of the 770 which might be a perfect fit for me. So, on the spot I told them "sign me up!"

In the meantime, I've been having to field some of the inevitable "what amps are you looking at" questions from friends and associates who have been following my receiver to separates transformation process. As much as I like to be completely candid, I've been avoiding this area a bit (with a few veiled hints from time to time) because of some product knowledge I had but had promised not to share at that point in time.

So, if all goes right, it shouldn't be too long before I'm able to test the 770 out in mt HT with my own ears (the location and tools that I've always maintained to be the final arbiter for any interested parties). I'll be running it through its paces and I'll report on my findings.

Don't misunderstand. This is not a beta test by any stretch of the imagination. There really isn't the need for beta testing a product that essentially should work when you plug it in, with minimal, if any, adjustments needed by the user.

But at least I can now see if this amp does a worthy job as my surround amp. I'm betting that it will, but I will have the same option as all of you do with Outlaw products regarding in-home trial periods at minimal financial risk.

One last comment regarding the new Outlaw newsletter. The beta test is now over and the Outlaws have very eloquently addressed some of the insinuations that inevitably crop up when such events take place. While some people will never believe the truth when it's staring them in the face, I'm quite confident that the vast majority of our members and others understand that there was no collusion involved. And, as has been said many times, you can always vote with your pocketbook.

This issue is now closed and I would like everyone to move on. Everyone has had ample time to say their piece and I'm sure that there are many people out there who are sick and tired of listening to all this. I couldn't agree more and, accordingly, in the future I will refer all comments on this to the Outlaw site for any further discussion.

We now return you to the hardware discussions. That's what the majority are here for anyway, right?

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
RAF,

So are you getting the 755 or the 770?

I sold my 5700 last week and picked up a 3802 to hold me over until I get the outlaw. Surprisingly, the 3802 sounds almost as good as the 5700. I think it sounded a little more harsh at first than the 5700 but I have gotten used to it.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Given that an amp is the last thing I need now, I'm disappointed about the 755 announcement. I was hoping for some neat HT accessory, like a whiz-bang remote.

RAF,

I interpreted his post to mean that he's getting the 755. The 770 is overkill for him.

Doug

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Doug,
Yep, I was disappointed too as I already have an amp. Just waiting for a pre/pro still.
The remote would have been a great thing as I'm still trying to decide on the MX-500 vs. a refurb Pronto.
Oh well....:frowning:

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
It's going to be the 755 for me. Remember I have three MA700 Monoblocks already, so 7 amps is a bit much for now. Even 5 amps gives me one extra, but that's not a big deal.
The specs on the 755/770 appear to be a close match for my MA700's (200W into 8 ohms and 300W into 4 ohms, etc.) so the 755 is a better fit than the 750 would have been.
Speaking of "fit:"
The spec sheets from the Outlaw March Newsletter indicate that the 755 and 770 both have a case with the identical dimensions. I wonder if there is an "upgrade" path that would allow you to add two more amp stages? Just another thing to add grist to the rumor mill.
:laugh:

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
The spec sheets from the Outlaw March Newsletter indicate that the 755 and 770 both have a case with the identical dimensions. I wonder if there is an "upgrade" path that would allow you to add two more amp stages? Just another thing to add grist to the rumor mill.
Looking at the pictures of the inside of the 755, I would tend to doubt it. They appear to have spaced the channels out slightly from the 770 layout. The cabinet size let them re-use the design of the individual channels, though, and the maximum power consumption is the same for both (1800W), so I sort of suspect the only thing they did was take two channels out and spread the remaining channels out slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks