New Outlaw and SVS Forums?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Philip____S, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

I have noticed the forums are being overrun (or at least it seems that way) by Outlaw and SVS posts. Perhaps there could be new forums or sub-forums (?) for these topics as I hate having to weed through all of the posts regarding these products. I could ignore them, by I'd rather not have to load pages filled with posts I don't really care about. Just a thought.

2. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Well, with the nature of these 2 companies taken into account, I think this is a good idea. They are somehow both *connected* to the HTF, and would deserve their own forums.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

(I'm speaking for myself here, there might be an official reply later).

HTF reflects the industry. When some new model HDTV, Sub, projector, or even announcements about DVD releases come out, there is a flurry of posts. This is part of the "industry buzz" you sometimes hear about. It does allow gushing enthusiasm, and raises attention to new products/complaints/problems.

While you might be tired of it, to my mind it's a good thing for HTF. Do you want to know what's hot in the industry and dont want to wait 3 months for the magazines to mention it? Just look at the posts on HTF.

Right now there is a lot of passion around Outlaw and the long delay times, and the upgrade & new SVS units. It will pass. There was tons of posts in the MOVIES section around Oscar time, it's died down.

Just ignore the outlaw/svs/etc. posts you dont want to see.

If you see anyone that you think is flooding the fourms with in-depth reviews like: "This thing rocks!", report the thread (there is an icon at the top of each thread for this) and the moderators will have a quiet word with the poster. There ARE some members who are simply trying to up their post-count. The moderators ARE happy to do this job.

4. Philip____S

Philip____S Stunt Coordinator

I appreciate the nature of these forums, particularly the 'latest buzz' craze, but I've noticed other forums have structured themselves differently to deal with this. I do not advocate changing the basic nature of this forum's setup, but it would be nice if there were some better system of dealing with these seasonal flurries regarding a very specific topic.

That said, I noticed some competing sites are very segmented as far as topics go, which leads to slow moving forums in some cases. Unfortunately poor site design (or rather site design geared for IE only) limits my reading there because I use Netscape Communicator 4.79 and the load times are awful. I am generally happy with the speed of these forums, but it would be nice to not see 1/3 of the page filled with posts about the same topic that I just don't care about (I'd could then spend my time waiting for threads I am more interested in).

To get back on topic, I have noticed the 'latest buzz' is not necessarily short term though. I have been reading these forums for a while (longer than I've been a member) and the Outlaw/SVS buzz has been around for quite some time. I've said my piece, thanks for reading.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Philip, if you've been lurking as long as you indicate, you know that we recently just had a major overhaul of the organization of the areas in this forum, and it'll be a while before we start splintering off more areas because we're monitoring traffic patterns and will do what's best for the entire forum membership when it's time to do so.

And also, we are not like all the other forums. Every forum is different, and no one of them is strong is all areas.

Don't really know why you are IE-adversed, but the HTF hauls butt when viewed with IE.