New OTA in Tacoma, WA

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Hakey, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Brian Hakey

Brian Hakey Extra

Well I just got back from Best Buy and picked up an open box Samsung T-150 for $449. I am running a RS Bowtie antenna and here are my results when using the Samsung guide:

4-1 Komo-DT Looks really nice! Medium Signal Strength

9-1 Kcts-DT Not bad, not sure if its even HDTV

9-2 Kcts-HD WOW, this is what HDTV should be! Too bad its some lame PBS loop...anyway its beautiful!!

I had a few other channels before but I moved the antenna and had the STB rememorize the channels and it lost them, I know I had KING 5 at one point.....any hints on the Samsung or how to get more channels? Thanks!!

Brian in Tacoma, WA

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Damn, I wish those signals would extend up to Vancouver, B.C. Canada is going nowhere with HDTV outside of a limited amount on satellite and I hear the cable system back east is starting HDTV on cable trials.

Patrick

3. Brian Hakey

Brian Hakey Extra

I moved the antenna just a bit and now am picking up:

38 ABC KOMO (4)

48 NBC KING (5)

39 CBS KIRO (7)

41 PBS KCTS (9)

Cant get 18 FOX KCPQ (13)...... Are they aligned North like the others? Also, how do I manually program a channel with the T-150? It seems that only auto will pick up channels? Hope this isnt too dumb of a question....however, Leno on HDTV looks pretty amazing!!!

Brian

4. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    Brian
    Good to here that you are up and running with HDTV!
    With the radio Shack BowTie antenna, is this thing placed inside or outside? I'm in an apartment (Aviara Apts in Tacoma - on Brookdale RD) and might have to join in on the HD fun [​IMG]
    I just did some more research: Is this the BowTie antenna you speak of?
    [​IMG]
    UHF Double-Bow Antenna
    $17.99
    Cat.#: 15-623
    Thanks for any input!

5. Brian Hakey

Brian Hakey Extra

Mike,

That is the antenna, as ugly as it may be, the darn thing works!!! I am getting excellent reception with it and HDTV OTA is amazing! However, I cannot get Channel 18 (FOX)....they broadcast out of Bremerton and not sure why can get all the Seattle channels so well but not that one...anyway, join in the fun! Its awesome!!

Brian

6. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    I just might have to!!!

Just need to figure out how my current equipment will co-exist with an HD Receiver - and convince the wife to let me spend the cash.

My Q:

If I buy an HD Receiver (one that just get locals - if this exists?) how will it work with my Sony SAT-T60 DIRECTV w/ TiVo Receiver? I can't get any HD stuff from my DIRECTV dish (long story - so I won't go in to it here) - but I do want to be able to use my current SAT-T60 because of TiVo.

Do I just use a seperate input on my Sony 57HW40? I do think I have an extra UHF/VHF available on my tv.

Thanks

7. Brian Hakey

Brian Hakey Extra

Mike,

Remember to get that good HDTV reception you will need to run those Red, Green, Blue cables from the decoder/tuner to your TV. I only have two inputs the the Red, Green, Blue cables, so I had to take my X-Box out and replace it with the HDTV tuner cables. My DVD cables take the other up. I think you will wind up having to spend the $$ on another receiver since yours doesnt have an HDTV decoder/tuner. But make sure you have the inputs first.....

Brian

8. Michael D. Bunting

Michael
    Thanks Brian - I have component inputs (2 sets) on my Sony. Right now, my XBOX is taking up the 2nd set and my DVD player is using the 1st set.
    My Denon receiver has component switching...so I may need to go that route if I want to keep the XBOX connected via component, and I do [​IMG]
    I'm probably gonna buy an HD Receiver with our Tax return money.....or use it to pay the down payment so my wife and I can go on the HTF Cruise in November. Can't make up my mind.......I should do both - not sure I can swing it financially though [​IMG]