What's new

New OSCARS Category: "Popular Film" (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If all you're watching is the opening of the envelopes, it seems like you'd be better off just going to bed and checking online for the list of winners in the morning. ;)
With our method, you are scanning through and can stop whenever you want if something looks interesting.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
How long into the broadcast will it take for one of the Avengers to explain that they're there because Thanos snapped the host out of existence?

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I think the way they would get away with using the Avengers is to not actually use them, but to use something like "The Getter Backerers"

Hosts will be Aluminum Guy, Corporal Canada, Natasha Stroganoff aka Black Window, Thorp, The Incredible Sulk, Scarlet Snitch, Nurse Normal, Pink Panther and Coffee Machine. All in costume.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think the way they would get away with using the Avengers is to not actually use them

First of all, I don't think the idea is to use them as The Avengers. It will just be the cast of the Marvel films appearing as themselves presenting awards. This has happened before at the 2013 Oscars when Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans, Samuel L. Jackson, Jeremy Renner and Mark Ruffalo presented Best Cinematography. It will just be a larger group of them this time, probably presenting multiple awards throughout the evening.

But if they actually wanted to use them in character as The Avengers, that could probably be arranged. The Oscars air on ABC, which is a corporate sibling of Marvel since they are both owned by Disney. Plus, any such appearance is a de facto bit of free publicity for Endgame, so I'm sure Disney and Marvel would be fine with that.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Uhhh. Ok.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this.

I wasn't saying I believe they actually will ask them to appear in character -- I don't -- just that Disney would probably sign off on it to help something airing on their network if the Academy really wanted to do it in-character. But I doubt that very much.

I see no reason to expect it to be any different than the clip above.

They are not hosting -- there is no host. They are just a group of celebrities who are being asked to present together because the films which they made together are extremely poplar and the Academy believes their appearance will generate interest in the telecast.

Nowhere does it say that they're only going to get Avengers either. I suspect any Avengers they do get will be paired with each other, but I suspect the idea is to get as many huge stars to participate in the evening as possible in order to compensate for the lack of a host. The Avengers cast will do their bits, and they'll probably have others doing bits too.

Also, frankly, I doubt the producers even know exactly what they're going to do yet, because proceeding without a host is a rare situation and they're probably still in the midst of nailing down all the details. We'll just have to see what happens.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I'm not really sure how to respond to this.

My post was meant to be a bit of a joke post, and you took a piece of what I said and responded to it as if I was serious. Not sure how my obvious joke flew over your head and caused you to go into research mode.

It was a joke.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My post was meant to be a bit of a joke post

Fair enough. Jokes and sarcasm sometimes don't come off as clearly in print as they would in an actual verbal discussion and I guess this was one of those cases for me. Also, it was late while I was responding and I was probably tired.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Fair enough. Jokes and sarcasm sometimes don't come off as clearly in print as they would in an actual verbal discussion and I guess this was one of those cases for me. Also, it was late while I was responding and I was probably tired.

No worries, I can completely relate, believe me. :chatter:

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
It's once a year, so I have no problem with the show running 4 hours. I've never heard anyone say the Super Bowl takes too long. When you think about it, the Super Bowl is 5-10 seconds of action, followed by 35 seconds of standing around, over and over and over. Plus time outs, team introductions, halftime show, etc.

As for the speeches, for many of them it will be the only time in their life that they get that opportunity. So if takes an extra 30-60 seconds than the allotted time for them to do that, then so be it. For those who just want to see the stars and see who wins, I would suggest just watching the red carpet show and then going to bed and reading the winners list in the morning.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My post was meant to be a bit of a joke post, and you took a piece of what I said and responded to it as if I was serious. Not sure how my obvious joke flew over your head and caused you to go into research mode.

It was a joke.
Well maybe you should have added a :)

Didn’t seem obvious or like a joke to me either,sorry.

Text is notorious for fouling up humor. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well it looks like Green Book is the front runner now to win Best Picture after winning both the Golden Globe and PGA award last night.

Oscar Nominations are announced this Tuesday morning between 8-9 AM Eastern time.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well it looks like Green Book is the front runner now to win Best Picture after winning both the Golden Globe and PGA award last night.

Oscar Nominations are announced this Tuesday morning between 8-9 AM Eastern time.

I dunno - I have a feeling the controversies about Peter Farrelly will dent it too much.

If I have the timeline right, those issues became news after votes would've been in for earlier awards, so the issue wouldn't have affected them.

In the current climate, I think it's gonna be tough for Oscar to embrace a filmmaker with "MeToo"-style issues in his past...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The PGA has a terrific track record predicting BP winners,including last years winner The Shape Of Water. I would still say that makes it the front runner. We’ll see.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
It's once a year, so I have no problem with the show running 4 hours. I've never heard anyone say the Super Bowl takes too long. When you think about it, the Super Bowl is 5-10 seconds of action, followed by 35 seconds of standing around, over and over and over. Plus time outs, team introductions, halftime show, etc.

Difference is that the Super Bowl kicks off at 6 and the networks have learned how much time to allot to the broadcast, so it doesn't go over the scheduled timeslot too much. The game itself is over around 10 PM.

Oscars start at 8:30, and usually run so long (midnight or later) that they overshoot not only their own timeslot on the TV guide, but also the local news that follows.

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
However, I don't think the Academy will actually give Black Panther the big award. The fact of its nomination and that it got to have a place at the table will be its reward. It could probably get some kind of below-the-line award, like special effects or something, as a consolation prize. This would be ironic -- watch it win one of the technical awards that they shuffle off of the telecast this year, so the one award that they give to the biggest movie of the year will be during the commercial break and the home audience won't see it.

Actually, the irony would be that Black Panther's effects weren't that good. It was obvious that the majority of the backgrounds were greenscreen, and the CGI was subpar. Not to mention that they didn't do a good job hiding Serkis's missing arm. You could tell they just wrapped it in green or blue and erased it in post production.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks