What's new

New Order releases "Retro" - their boxset.... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Edit: see my review a few posts down....
hi all -
i believe there are a few new order fans here, so i thought i'd post this most excellent news. next to depeche mode, these guys have been my all-time favorite band since i started listening to music. :emoji_thumbsup:
from the New Order Online Website
RETRO

this is the boxset we've all been waiting for. according to the website, it's slated for a 12/17/02 release in the UK, but a newsletter i received gives that date for the US release. in any case, figure some time in december.
it's a four-cd compilation. the first two are their singles, the third is a remix compilation and the fourth cd are live cuts. you can view the track listing from the website.
to be honest, i already have most of this stuff. i obviously already own all the singles and most of those remixes (which i'm not really a huge fan of anyway). i've yet to be really impressed with the quality of the live recordings, but maybe (hopefully?) they chose the cream of the crop for this set.
but the huge new order fan in me (and my ill-fated completist attitude) will buy this sight unseen.
:D

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Pleasant news, but I'd be happier with a DVD of their videos (what is this obsession the band has with releasing concert DVDs? - they were never that good a live act IMHO).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
agreed. i have never seen these guys live, but i've never been floored by the concert songs i've heard. some of their stuff sounded downright bad.

oh well, like i said, i hope they picked the cream of the crop for the 4th cd.

a video compilation would be very nice!

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
I hope it's remastered. Substance should be remastered, and I'd be ecstatic. It sounds like crap now...
This sounds like it should be great!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
okay, time for ted's mini-review! :D
i don't know what the band could have done...but i wish it was something more.
i pretty much knew what i was getting into buying this. i already have so much of their stuff this was really just the stupid completist in me wanting to stay current.
this compilation is four cd's (plus a limited 5th cd) going back to their beginning as new order. everything is post joy division.
what seems somewhat odd is that the band (apparantly) had very little to do with this compilation. they pulled in some of their friends to do the track listing. seemed odd to me, but that's typical new order. they're not known for being in the limelight and much prefer to remain a stigma.
the first two cd's are pretty much straight album edits. the first cd is more accessible as their mainstream selections, but i prefer the second cd. it contains some of their moodier selections. (i'm writing this off the top of my head so i don't have the song titles handy).
the third cd is a selection of their remixes. here's where i was hoping the band would throw me a bone and i was not disappointed. most of the mixes (especially the earlier stuff) remains very faithful to the original edit with just enough of a spin to add variety without ruining the song. there's a great version of "confusion" which i totally dug!
the fourth cd is their live selections. i'm not sure what to say about this one....except it sounds TERRIBLE! i've yet to hear a decent quality live recording from these guys. (i haven't heard the bbc live album so i can't comment there.) since i've never seen them in concert i wonder if i wanna start.
the fifth bonus cd is almost worth the price of admission for one single song: the 18 minute ( :eek: ) version of "elegia". i've always said that any song by This Mortal Coil is what would be playing if i ended up doing myself in...but i think this song may have taken top billing. there's some other decent stuff there too.
there's also a very nice booklet with lots of good quotes taken directly from the band members regarding the songs. did you know that bernard *fucking hates* "blue monday" and that song was really just an experiment? wanna know how "elegia" came to be? the liner notes will give you all that plus some nice tribues by the people chosen to pick the selections.
so....
what can i say about this compilation? are you a completist? do you absolutely have to have everything by new order? then don't hesitate and get this while you can.
otherwise just pick up The Best of New Order and call it a day.
i give this boxset a C+
[edit] for the complete listing (not by cd) and the ability to sample some of the songs, go to the neworderonline website: http://www.neworderonline.com/album.asp?release_id=128

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks