What's new

New Onkyo's (1 Viewer)

Jason Nathan

Auditioning
Very cool,
I'm glad to see some convergence coming to mid level recievers. This may be one to look at for those who can't afford the big bad units.

I personally hope it gets good reviews onkyo could use some good reviews.

Anyway thanks for the Post

J

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Got to like the adjustable crossover. Hopefully your can select more than 1 crossover freq for different speakers.
...the ability to handle every major home theater sound format currently in use.
I don't know... I think I'd consider Logic 7 to be a "major home theater sound format" ! ;)

Andrew Santos

Stunt Coordinator
that's nice how they state the rated power into 6 ohms, to make it look like all the receivers have gotten a little power boost. that's pretty sneaky.

John Parris

Stunt Coordinator
I really hope the "official" spec sheets from the 7.3/8.3 dont read "6 ohms"... that's just bad marketing at this level of equipment.

Welp, looks like I'll have to add the Integra 7.3 to my "to-audition" list. Thanks for the heads up.

Anthony S.

Agent
I personally hope it gets good reviews onkyo could use some good reviews.
Mr. Nathan,

Did you intend to imply that Onkyo has received some bad reviews lately? I'm interested because I have the 575x now, and I'm planning on upgrading soon. I trying to decide between the 989, the Integra 9.1, or the Pioneer 49TXi. I haven't seen any bad reviews of any of these units, or any Onkyo receiver, for that matter. If you have, I'd be interested in reading those. If you have the info, please share. Thanks.

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Most bad reviews i've seen or heard about the onkyos are supposed to be its overrated power outputs.
Supposing we don't consider this aspect, I mean supposing Onkyo gave accurate ratings, would you folks say Onkyo is a good receiver?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Power Rating Example from Sound & Vision Mag.

Integra DTR-7.2 6 channels driven 38.75 watts LIST $1,200
Panasonic SA-HE100 6 channels driven 70 watts LIST $300
Yamaha RX-Z1 6 channels driven 109 watts LIST $2,799
Denon AVR-5803 7 channels driven 118.2 watts LIST $4,300

I'm not saying the Panasonic is even in the same class as the Integra but it does put it to shame in the watts department & that's why people are talking about the watts in Onkyo's. Onkyo's rated watts for the Integra were 100 watts X 6.

Bob Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony S, do a search on the Onkyo 797 and 898 model receivers if you want bad reviews. Those models had problems with audio drop-outs as well as ticking noises in the speakers. Onkyo will fix the ticking problem, but not the drop-outs. I'm not sure if the 989 had those problems or not. Research this forum and others before you buy.

David Cohen

Agent
Almost all Onkyo and Integra receivers now and in the past have provided the powewr spec into 6 ohms. This has nothing to do with boosting the rating for marketing reasons, it is just their way of emphasizing the UL approved 6ohm rating. When you read the new spec sheets, you will find ratings into both 6 and 8 ohms.

What has changed in the recent past is that these ratings are no longer an "all channels driven" measurement. Rather they are measuring these the way that many of the "other" brands do- 2 channels driven, 1 measured. This strategy is mostly marketing, to compete with the Sonys, Kenwoods,etc.

Nothing sneaky here, just different form their old stand-by ways of the past. Listen to what you buy. Evaluate the performance, not the specs.

Matt Abel

Auditioning
Granted one should trust their ears first when evaluating equipment, but an interesting spec point in favor of the Onkyo's is their relatively outstanding S/N and overall excellent noise levels. S&V's test found that the 7.2 had a better S/N than the either the Denon or the Yamaha.

Strap a big Parasound or Rotel to the front channels and you have a combo that will give the big recievers a run for their money. Just some food for thought.

-Matt

Jason Nathan

Auditioning
I haven't read any magazine articles that were overly critical of the onkyo's -- not that I believe everything I read anyway. I tend to not take magazine reviews awful seriously.
I was more referring to the amp ratings and the popping problems on the 898 and below units. The 989 is really in a different class than the rest of the lineup.
But since I can't afford 2000-2500 for a flagship or separates I'm stuck in the 1500 dollar category which leaves me with big decision to make.
I was just hoping that this new onkyo was a clear winner and would make my choice easier.
Sorry for the confusion. And no reason to call me Mr. -- That's my father, and he never liked it either :D
N

Phil*K

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is late but does anyone have the link to the S & V report

Thanks in advance Phil

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Jason, you could squeeze separates in for 1500, $900 for the outlaw 950 and $600 for a used amp, or you could get one of the lower powered rotels for about that. either way, you will get more power than the integra...
also, as for Onkyo, their power ratings are off, across the board. There have been complaints about clicking in the speakers (mentioned), audio dropouts (mentioned), poor quality control and poor service.
I have never heard a good thing about Onkyo's service and have heard several bad things (a couple on msgboards, and a couple in real life) which lead me to avoid them. In addition, they, and the other japanese brands roll over models way too often for my tastes...
If you want to hear what some people think about onkyo/integra, checkout www.hometheaterspot.com they have have a forum edidcated to onkyo, also check out htguide.com they have a club integra forum.
rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks