What's new

New Onkyo Receivers (1 Viewer)

Joel Fischer

Auditioning
I just ordered the tx-sr601 from Nebraska furniture Mart (local dealer). They were out of the 600 and not restocking it, so they gave me the 601 for the same price. Onecall is the only place I've found info about the 601. If anyone finds anymore info about it, please post a link :)

The shareholder's meeting price was only $336+ tax. Since I was going to buy the refurb 600 from onkyo, so for an extra $30 I got the new model and a full warranty.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Here's info from Onkyo's website on the upcoming TX-SR501

Onkyo¡¦s Entry-level A/V Receiver Grows a 6th Channel and Adds HD Component Video Switching - 05/05/03

Onkyo has upgraded its budget audio/video receiver by increasing the number of built-in 65 Watt amplifiers from five to six, including related Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES 6.1-channel surround processing, and adding HDTV capable component video switching. This Onkyo TX-SR501 is currently available, in both black and new silver finish, at a suggested retail price of just $300.

¡§This is an amazing package for the $300 price bracket,¡¨ said Don Milks, Onkyo¡¦s National Product & Marketing Manager. ¡§We are seeing more and more high-definition video systems at lower and lower prices. The TX-SR501 allows consumers to integrate these advanced video systems into 360-degree surround sound home theaters without busting their budgets.¡¨
With the addition of the center-back surround channel, Onkyo TX-SR501 can fully exploit the Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES soundtracks available on many modern DVD video and audio discs. Sound effects can arrive at the listener¡¦s ears from the front, sides, and, now, from directly behind the listener¡¦s head. The receiver also includes Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS Neo:6 processing, which can derive 5.1 and 6.1 multichannel sound from two-channel sources.

The TX-SR501 also boasts 50 MHz component video switching, allowing the receiver to switch high definition video signals without degrading video quality. There are two component video inputs and one output, four A/V composite inputs and two outputs with alternate S-Video connections, plus front panel A/V composite and S-video inputs for convenient connection of portable devices. The receiver has three assignable digital audio inputs with one coaxial and two optical connectors, RCA line-level connections for a CD player and audio recorder, and a subwoofer preamplifier output. There are dual banana-plug-compatible multi-way speaker binding posts for all main channels with color-coding for simplified wiring, and front channel "B" terminals for a second set of stereo speakers.

The Onkyo TX-SR501 includes six internal power amplifier channels with high-current, low-impedance discrete output devices, to deliver a continuous power output of 65 Watts per channel into 8-Ohm loads, and 80 Watts into 6 Ohms. Onkyo has incorporated several new refinements including a new, more massive High Current Power Supply (H.C.P.S.) transformer, an absolute ground plate employed to eliminate ground hum, and heavy-duty bus bars to diminish fluctuations in electrical potential for reduced noise. Onkyo's WRAT (Wide Range Amplifier Technology) gives the power stage a linear frequency response from 10 Hz to 100 kHz, well beyond the frequency limitations of the most demanding audio sources, such as SACD and DVD-Audio.
The dot-matrix fluorescent front panel display makes setup and operation of the receiver easy and fast, including variable speaker configuration and distance settings for simple optimization of any speaker arrangement. With the new adjustable crossover on the subwoofer pre-out channel, the LFE channel signal can be cutoff at 60, 80, 100, 120 or 150 Hz, for seamless integration of any satellite and subwoofer combination.

The receiver's high quality AM/FM tuner section has 30 random presets, and FM automatic scan tuning. The included preprogrammed remote control makes system integration and control simple and convenient.

And here's where you can order it.

Eric_AP

Stunt Coordinator
darn, I bought an Onkyo TX-SR700 only two months ago.

Do you think Circuit City will let me trade up to either the 601 or the coming 701?

I like the new high power current amplifier mentioned for the 601 and the coming 701.

Don_Teel

Auditioning
If the 601 can generate the 85 watts per channel(continous), all channels drive it would be a very attractive receiver. It make me mad the fact that they finally (it seems) the wattage problem and i just bought a 600 no more than 3 months ago. Maybe the bashing they've been taking on some of these hometheater forums has opened their eyes..

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Noticed that the TX-SR501 now come in silver as well? I wonder if the other Onkyo receivers come in silver as well. Looks like silver is back....Sony, Panasonic, Kenwood, and now Onkyo!

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I've personally been looking at the Onkyo TXNR900, but I have no idea if this receiver is 2 months old or 10 months old. If a new one is just around the corner, I'll wait. Does anyone know?

-Todd

Steve Alan

Agent
Does anyone know if these receivers save your settings (channel levels, crossover, etc..) or will your settings be universal? This new series looks like it will be the best value on the market for a while, I hope they are good. Thanks for any info!!

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
Todd the Onkyo NR900 has been out for about 3 months now I believe, so it is still new. There is no new one around the corner.

Steve, as a current Onkyo owner I know the recievers will allow you to save your channel levels,crossovers, etc...

:)

GordoH

Auditioning
I bought an Onkyo HTS-650 (from Circuit City) less than 3 months ago and, thankfully, it is bug-free. Now I see that they are offering the Onkyo HTS-760. I'm not too interested in the speakers for the HTS-760 because I am happy with the 5 speakers that came with the HTS-650 and I can always buy another rear center channel speaker at a later time. But the receiver is upgraded with Dolby Digital-EX, DTS-ES, and component video inputs. It does lose one digital input, though, and that's the only difference. Otherwise, it has the same features. Has anyone heard or read reviews about the HTS-760 receiver? Is it worth the upgrade?

KevinFC

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the speakers that come with the HTS-760 can be mounted on the wall? I heard this system at Frys over the weekend but was taken with the sound quality so much that I forgot to check :D. But the HD component inputs alone would be worth the buy on this system not to mention the 100w to all 6 channels.

Peter_J_H

Auditioning
I just purchased and installed the HT-S760 over the weekend. Sounds great. As for mounting the rear speakers, I used Vantage Point Satellite Speaker Mounts (black)Model: SATP-B. They hold up to 8 lbs, which does pretty well for the rear speakers. The Onkyo speakers that come with the system have a small bracket on the back for hanging flat on a wall with a single nail/screw. Pretty useless. I took that small bracket off and drilled the above speaker mounts into the speaker, then hung them on the wall. Seems to work well. The speaker mounts come with an extension if you want to mount to the ceiling. You can pick them up at Best Buy, Lowes or search the web for the best price

Chris^PE*

Auditioning
Does anyone know how the HTS760 compares to the TXSR600 in terms of quality, features, etc? Which would you recommend?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks