What's new

New Onkyo HT-S6300, replace old Onkyo SKS-HT500 speakers, powered sub, or keep? (1 Viewer)

tslugmo

Auditioning
Real Name
tslugmo
Just purchased the Onkyo HT-S6300, will be replacing my Onkyo TX-SR600 (which still works like a champ after 8 years) so I can have HDMI switching, upscaling, etc. However, I wondered if I should keep my existing SKS-HT500 speakers and powered sub, or swap in the new speakers that come with the HT-S6300? The new speakers are smaller and seem less substantial. Not sure if that's true, but if it is, would it be worth going to 7.1 with poorer speakers or keeping 5.1 with better older speakers? Is this a case of "They just don't make 'em like they used to," or "technological advancements create lighter better speakers?" Here are the specs I could gather: SKS-HT500: L/R: 2 x 5.25" woofers, 1" dome tweeter Surrounds: 4" midrange drivers, 1" dome tweeter Center speaker: 2 x 4" woofers, 1" tweeter 8" 150-watt active subwoofer L/R Speakers are 16.5" tall, Center is 15.25" wide, Surrounds are 8.5" tall 8 ohms HT-S6300: L/R/C: 1 x 4" woofer, 1" tweeter Surrounds: 3 1/4" cones 10" 290-watt active subwoofer All speakers are about 12" tall 6 ohms The new receiver claims 130 w/channel (6 ohms, 1kHz). The old speakers are larger and have dual woofers, not sure if that makes them better. Is it as simple as keeping the larger, more powerful sub? Any way to tell from these specs which speakers are better? Trying to figure out which components to sell, any input is appreciated. Thanks, tslugmo

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The HT-500 was the first of the Onkyo receiver/speaker packages. The speakers in the 6300 aren't smaller because of technological advances. As receivers gained more and more features they started to save money by using smaller, cheaper speakers. Simple as that. The subwoofer has improved through the years however so the sub in the 6300 is better than the one that came with the 500. The best speakers IMO that came in these Onkyo systems are the ones from the HT-780 and 800 except for the much more expensive 9300/9400. The HT-540 speaker/subwoofer combo that ac4l.com sells for about $170 is close to those in the 780/800. As Robert said, listen to both and let your ears decide but I expect the receiver and sub from the 6300 and the speakers from the 500 will be the best combination. My brother used a 500 for a few years and I was always impressed with how good it sounded for what it was. Fairly cheap drivers and tweeters, thin cabinets and a bass blocker on the tweeter instead of a full crossover. Still sounded decent enough though. But you should start looking for better speakers anyway. The 6300 is about 90 wpc @ 8 ohms 20-20,000hz if I'm remembering correctly. It's pretty much a 608. A 5.1 with better speakers is the way to go instead of 7.1 with lessor speakers.

tslugmo

Auditioning
Real Name
tslugmo
Thanks Gene, that's exactly what I was suspecting. Hooking everything up and recalibrating is a PITA, but I'll give it a shot if I have time. Otherwise I'll sell the old sub and new speakers. Don't have the $ for better speakers at this point, but I'll keep it in mind. Also good to know 5.1 vs 7.1 strategy. Thanks guys.:tu:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks