What's new

New Onkyo 797 - ticking fixed? (1 Viewer)

Chris Sharp

Agent
I am thinking I will order the Onkyo 797 in the next couple days. I wanted to know if anyone has checked with Onkyo to see if there new units have been fixed so I won't have to go through the agony of not having their receiver while it is in the shop being fixed. If anyone has any information regarding this please let me know.

Also, for people who have bought this unit in the past month or so, have you had any problems?

Thanks,

Chris Sharp

Blair Gifford

Stunt Coordinator
OHYA!
I've had nothing but problems. I now hate the whole company. I bought the 797 on Feb 20th. Then on April 1 the "ticking" started. I took it in right away and hoped it wouldnt be too long before I got it back. A week after I brought it in I called them to see what was goin on. The repair shop told me that they had ordered the part and hopfully it wouldn't be too long. Guess what? It wasnt very quick. I got it back today. The best part is...
now that I have it, it still doesn't work. The ****ing sub preout doesnt work and when I turn it up loud I get all these crack and pop sounds.

I'm pissed off and I left them a message for the 10000th time. I'm sure Ill get another response like this

"Sorry you're having problems. We would love to help, but here at Onkyo we are all brain dead"

I'd better go before I smash my keyboard to bits.
blair

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
I am sorry, the ticking noise from the rear right surround is driving me crazy and I am now too busy plotting the assination of the Onkyo CEO. Right now,Just kidding. I ordered the 797 today also and was asuured from J@R that they where only selling the corrected version. I guess wwe will find out soon enough.

David Nash

Agent
Real Name
David
Chris,
I purchased an Onkyo 797 on 6-1-02. I am aware of the potential ticking problem but wanted this receiver. I called Onkyo today and spoke with technical support and customer service. I gave them my serial number to see if they could verify if mine was of a "good" production batch and was told there was no way to confirm this. I was told if the ticking started it usually happens within the first two to three months. This did not make me feel better knowing it could happen, but it can be fixed if it does. This is apparently where a lot of people become upset with the length of time it takes to get fixed. I would have to say in this situation the "squeaky door gets the oil" scenario would come in to play. I know if mine does they will know me personally until I get satisfaction!!!
David

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Did the rep really say two-three months, that would be very good, because then I can stop worrying about mine. I bought mine in late December and I really love it. I would hate to ever part with it. Just FYI. I learned today that the 797 has dual Crystal DSP Processors! Yay! Even the Denon 3802 only has one SHARC processor, that really says something about the 797 and Onkyo's perspective of high quality products. I would not hesitate to buy another Onkyo.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I bought my 797 in November and the ticking problem happened last month. I brought in to Cambridge Soundworks for repair and got it back in about 2 weeks. Other than the ticking problem, this is a great receiver. I would recommend it.

WesleyHester

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Hester
So according to Dalton's post it can be up to six or seven months before it starts - great.

I got mine in January. So far so good. Hate not knowing if it has the problem or not for sure.

From what I've read in various forums regarding this subject, about 60-70% of the 'initial' production has the problem and only 30-40% don't. Not very good odds to say the least.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Wesley,
I'm not sure when but Onkyo corrected the problem in production. If the problem does start they have to change the IC board on the receiver. You might want to check with your dealer maybe they can find out when the production line started making the corrected units. I know it sucks not knowing if or when the problem might occur but at least Onkyo is aware of it and has corrected it. If you do run into the problem it can be fixed easily. I know thats not very reassuring because you will be without sound for a while. Luckily my dealer "loaned me a Denon 2802 to use while my 797 was being repaired.

Take Care,
Dalton

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit
Got mine in late fall. Ticking in mid-Feb. Back to factory for repairs. No other problems. Pretty good receiver.

Chris Sharp

Agent
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I think I will take a chance and get this receiver. I called the local service shop and they said they had only seen one 797 with the ticking and it wasn't a huge problem to fix. Hopefully, I'll get one that has already been fixed in production.

I was considering the Denon 3802 but I just like Onkyo better.

THANKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks