What's new

New Onkyo 600 (1 Viewer)

Kent H

Auditioning
I am very interested in the new Onkyo 600 that should be coming out any day now. Does anyone have any specific dates?

I have a couple of questions:

What speakers sound the best with Onkyo receivers?

Any suggestions on where to buy the Onkyo 600 when it comes out.

The only thing negative I have heard about this receiver is the lack of pre-outs. What are these used for?

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
Try onecall.com they have it listed already for $499 or try circuit city.

The preouts that it is lacking are used for hooking up an external amplifier(s). If you have no desire to use external amplifiers and use the 600 as a preamp, then dont let this "lack of" feature deter you from buying this unit.

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Lack of pre-outs is a serious disadvantage: that's what separates the run-of-the-mill receivers from the better ones. You may want to consider the Harman Kardon AVR-320, which sells for less than $500, and comes with all the new formats, except it does not have 6 amps. Or the Denon 2802.

David B O

Auditioning
A Circuit City I visited in NW Austin over the weekend was actually taking pre orders for em. Only had three on the list w/ a price of $499. The guy said they should be in later this week.

They had the Onkyo 500 all hooked up. Unfortunly they had it hooked up to junky speakers and I wasn't in the mood to have them move the unit for me.

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
Kent,

J&R should have a good price on the 600. I got my 595 at this time last year for $383 shipped from them with very little haggling.

Honestly, these receivers sound so good to people new to home theater that it will probably be some time before you think about adding external amplification and by that time, there will probably be a bunch of new formats that your old receiver will be unable to take advantage of in which case you spent extra money on pre-outs for nothing. Unless of course, you can't hang onto a piece of equipment for a year without upgrading it, in which case ponying up for the pre-outs makes sense.

Good luck.

KevinO

Stunt Coordinator
According to Onecall, they've got it for $499 - 10% with free Fedex shipping, for a total of $449.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping bestpriceaudiovideo will have a lower price than both these stores. The only problem is the have yet to get it in stock. One more thing I am gonna wait for is some feedback on how it compares to similar receivers.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Remember to check on Onkyo's website before ordering online to see if where you buying it from is an authorized reseller. I believe JandR and Onecall are, both I'm not sure about best price audio. If you don't buy from a authorized reseller, they don't have to honor your warrenty.

Jim__B

Stunt Coordinator
yes best price audio video is an authorized dealer. I recently ordered from than an the service I received was by far the best I have from a online merchant.

MoG

Stunt Coordinator
Doesn't the HK AVR 320 not have DD EX? For some reason, I was thinking the current crop of HK receivers didn't have DD EX. Just their THX-certified one has THX EX?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks