New Onix Rocket UFW-12 Subwoofer review

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jack Gilvey, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Ed Mullen's latest work at Secrets, they just keep getting better:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...06-part-1.html

Seems ok for a 12" sealed, especially with the incuded Eq package. What intrigued me about the measurements were the group delay and rolloff/transient response results (due, apparently, to the steep filtering employed to protect the driver from overexcursion), which look far more like a vented than a sealed sub (compare, for example, the same measurements from Ed's last review, the vented SVS PB12-Plus). Since these are some areas to which the "tight" sound of a sealed sub is usually attributed, and since the UFW-12 is, by all accounts, "musical", it seemed there might be other factors to "musicality".
    Someone posted this review on another forum, and much of the thread was spent on trying the discredit the author before it got deleted. Seems the review is ok with AV123 themselves, they link to it, with quote, right from the UFW-12 page.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Good review. Seems kind of expensive though for the performance you get.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When I think Ed has hit his limit, he then comes up with another review that exceeds his previous. I especially liked "Here are the Benchmark data for the UFW-12:" (Part VIII) on the last page where he grades all the different aspects of the UFW and comes up with a final score.

Well done Ed[​IMG]