New OASIS concert DVD - "Live by the Sea" - now available

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Allred, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Michael Allred

Michael Allred Screenwriter

Aug 13, 2000
    I must suck as an Oasis fan, I had NO idea about this DVD release.
    "Live by the Sea" was previously available on VHS in America several years ago but has been out of print for a while now.
    Sony has re-issued it on DVD and it came out the same day as their new album, July 2nd. Safe to say I've already placed my order for it. When it arrives I'll post a review. In the meantime, here's the DVD info courtesy of;
    Recorded Live at Southend Cliffs Pavillion 4/17/95
    "At five in the morning, lagged up in his Southend hotel room, Noel Gallagher turned to a friend and said, "It was only a year ago when we put out our first single!" It was a statement that forcefully brought home the huge phenomenon that is oasis. Feisty, contrary, belligerent, highly talented and music-fixated to an almost unhealthy degree, Noel's uniquely crafted songs, aligned with Liam Gallagher's inimitable vocals and a devastating wall of sound, have swept all before them, rightfully triggering a huge response from those who know the real deal when it comes along. And that's only the records. On stage, oasis give it even more energy, attitude and vision, their constant touring ("Who the fook wouldn't want to do this for the rest of their lives?" Noel once innocently asked) turning them into one of the most dynamic attractions around. Free to do whatever they want, this film captures in motion the best thing to have happened to British Pop in a long while. The 90's start here."
    Rock 'N' Roll Star
    Digsy's Dinner
    Some Might Say
    Live Forever
    Up in the Sky
    Good to be Free
    Cigarettes and Alcohol
    Married with Children
    Sad Song
    D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman?
    Talk Tonight
    Slide Away
    I am the Walrus
    Also includes the videos to "Rock 'n' Roll Star" and "Cigarettes and Alcohol."
    ***Product Information
    Standard 1.33:1
    ENGLISH: Dolby Digital Stereo
    Release Date: 7-2-2002
    Packaging: Keep Case
    Disc: SS-SL
    Chapters: 17
    Item Code: EVD54213
    UPC Code: 074645421391
  2. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Feb 14, 2002
    Like you, I had no id4ea it had been released in VHS. As far as I knew, "There and Then" and "Familiar to Millions" were Oasis' only DVDs. Glad to find out I was wrong [​IMG] Live versions of Married with Children and Digsy's Dinner, Good to be Free AND Slide Away? MINE!! [​IMG][​IMG]
  3. Eric Walsh

Eric Walsh Stunt Coordinator

Jan 5, 2002
    This concert is neat to see because Noel seems pretty nervous (and how often does that happen). He even messes up d'yer wanna be a spaceman so bad he has to quit the song. [​IMG] Nice seeing them before they got really big and if you put all three DVDs together you get sort of a history of Oasis. The quality on this one is lacking compared to the other two but that could be all to do with the budget at the time of recording and all that. But I like the low budget/plain feel more so than the familiar to millions camera work/images ect. I don't need all that. My favorite will always be there and then though. The concert is just incredible and so is the direction.
    As a side note are Live By the Sea and There and Then in their OAR? I am guessing yes but was not sure.
  4. Jason_H

Jason_H Second Unit

Mar 9, 2000
    I got this DVD a few months ago when it was issued in Region 2 PAL. My opinion...GREAT concert, but techincally the DVD blows, I was really disappointed. I already had the Japanese laserdisc release, but was looking to see if the DVD was any better. The sound sounds muffled as hell compared to the gorgeous PCM laserdisc sound, but what is really bad is the video. There are compression artifacts all over the place. Obviously, it is still a huge step over the VHS version, but they really dropped the ball on the authoring and transfer of this DVD.