New Nvidia Shield TV with Google Assistant Announced

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Cranston37, Jan 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
  2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    And HDR.

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    This has all been available in the second gen Amazon Fire TV (with Alexa instead of GA) for almost a year now, no? What's so special about the Shield?

4. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Second Unit
    Supporter

Jason
    Shield offers a lot of output options, 24hz on everything, etc... Ive had a Fire 2nd Gen, Roku Ultra and Shield 1. I sent the Shield back because no Amazon, and liked the Roku Ultra better than the Fire. I am preordering the new Shield since they will have Amazon finally, and gonna sell the Ultra.

5. 6 Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    Access to your UltraViolet collection through Vudu and FandangoNow.

Also, if you are invested in the Google ecosystem (e-mail, contacts, calendars, messages, etc) having the Google Assistant is much more useful to you than Alexa.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Thanks guys. Might have to try the new one out.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I get Vudu through my Roku.

8. Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    He was asking why you would want the Shield over the Fire...

9. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Second Unit
    Supporter

Jason
    I just got mine in. I owned the 1st gen shield (which this basically is just a few minor changes, nothing performance wise really) and loved it, but no Amazon was a deal breaker. I preordered the 2nd gen once I heard about Amazon, and it was going to be smaller and come with the remote.

I tested Amazon 1080p and UHD HDR earlier, as well as Netflix UHD and HDR, it looks great! Both the Netflix and Amazon apps work as expected too. I sold my Roku Ultra the other day because Roku has been terrible with FW updates since it came out, and kinda pissed me off. I have a Premier+, but it will stay in the bedroom and the Shield will be in the main HT for streaming needs. Shield also seems snappier moving around in apps than the Ultra too.

As far as the 2nd gen Fire, I had one while I had my Roku Ultra, and there were times I'd see banding on a tv show on Amazon, and would not see it on the same spot with the Ultra. It was repeatable too, so I sent the Fire packing. Not sure if it was the fact the Fire was doing RGB and the Roku did ycbcr 420.

Connected via cat6 to my cable modem, and using the android browser, the Shield gets 160-220mbps down on fast.com, which is exactly what Id expect connected to the modem.

10. Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    Very much looking forward to receiving mine. I hope to never even see a Roku again.

I hope Google turns some attention away from Chromecast to make Android TV a more robust operating system. Apple has done a great job in that respect but is still hobbled by a lack of some apps and no 4K...

11. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Second Unit
    Supporter

Jason
    Im pretty impressed, its real speedy and the PQ was great tonight. We watched the first episodes of the new season of Homeland and The Young Pope off Amazon subscriptions.

Cranston37 likes this.
  12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I understand the Shield is supposed to a great device if you're running a Plex server. But how does it compare to Roku, AppleTV, Fire stick(?), etc for people who don't care about home media server applications, and just want a "normal" streaming box?

13. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Second Unit
    Supporter

Jason
    If UHD and HDR matter, I think its great. My Roku Ultra was pretty dang good, but Roku is still working on (or not) bugs since its release, I was fed up because I think they are out of touch right now, even on their own forum.

Many reviews from Cord Cutting services had the Shield as the best, except no Amazon. Now that it has Amazon, I am not looking back. I got a new AppleTV with Directvnow, even as a 1080p box that thing sucks.

14. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
  15. 16 Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Cranston37

Cranston37 Second Unit

Patrick
    For me, the Shield is the most complete box at the moment:

Apple TV - no 4K HDR, no access to your UV collection, no Amazon. Apple actually has the most mature TV system (LOVE the new "TV" app), it just needs to fix those few shortcomings for it to be my full time box (and technically the UV and Amazon ones can be overcome using AirPlay).

Fire TV - no access to UV. It's really only useful if you are invested in the Amazon ecosystem.

Roku - too many technical problems for me, remote can't control the TV, no smart assistant that can also act as a home hub, and let's face it, the UI of the system and most of it's apps are looking ancient. Roku really has fallen behind the big guys, and I fear is doomed to start experiencing some of the problems Sonos now is.

DaveF likes this.
  16. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Second Unit
    Supporter

Jason
    Im in the Apple system with all my music (2500+ songs) and phones. Luckily my Marantz preamp has airplay, so I use my phone and laptop in that method.

17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I've got Apple TV 's but don't use them for much besides music, the Trailers app, and streaming a tv show when the TiVo hiccups. I use the TiVo for Netflix and Amazon streaming. It's not the fastest box, but it's our primary box.

18. They seem to have more Apps/Channels than they use to but, are still missing some. Is there private apps like Roku allows? How about a hard drive that can be used to download Vudu or others? I think it does 3D? which would be a plus... I don't need a gaming machine or plex, just a good streamer. Iv'e had every model of Roku from the first square metal box that had one channel....Netflix, (remember those?) Some had trouble but, the Roku 4 and Ultra work well for me but if somebody makes something better for me, I'm on it!