New NVidia GeForce 4 Go for notebook computers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Has anyone heard anything about the new NVidia GeForce 4 Go video card for notebook computers? Sounds absolutely wonderful. I'm drooling thinking about it. I opted to get a notebook computer because I'm a college student and found the mobile possibilities too beneficial. The only thing I've missed is being able to play graphics intensive games, and now, it sounds like I'll be gaming with the best of them! I'm excited! Does anyone know when this will be released for upgrade of an existing computer or how much it will cost? Later, guys!
    Rob
    P.S. - Here's NVidia's press release:
    http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20021011_5981

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I had always been under the impression that whatever is in your laptop is what you're stuck with for the life of the machine...

3. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Laptop video generally is not upgradable. The video adapter chip is usually soldered to the motherboard.

There are some laptop models that have video on an upgradable, proprietary card. They're the exception to the rule. Given how vendors play up every feature, you would probably already know if you had one.

4. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

It depends on which notebook you have as to whether it is upgradable or not. In many of the newer Dell's the video card is upgradable. It's as easy as making sure you have the latest bios, pop out the old one and put the new one in.

But not all notebooks are. Which notebook do you have?

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I have the Toshiba Satellite 5100. Has 512mb of [email protected], 1600x1200 screen, Geforce 4 Go 440 with 64mb DDR. (Toshiba now has the 5200 model, with a Geforce 4 Go 460, supposedly higher clock speed than the 440).
    I can play Unreal Tournament 2003 with roughly 30-60 frames per second, occasionally dipping into the mid 20s in big firefights (reference: DM-Plunge map, 7 bots, Masterful skill). 800x600, 16 bit, all details set to normal. It's very playable, believe it or not. In many respects, it is only a bit slower than my Athlon 1800 with a Geforce 4 Ti4400, albeit running at 800x600, 32bit color. My gaming machine is roughly 30% faster.
    The 1600x1200 15" LCD display is incredible, well worth the money. I use it for everything but heavy duty gaming , but I still play UT2003 on it to kill time or when I LAN-play at a friends or work!
    At home I use my desktop machine because my nForce chipset motherboard has real-time 5.1 Dolby Digital encoding for games. Hooked up to my home theater equipment, of course. The sound quality exceeds an SB Audigy. [​IMG]

6. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi, guys!

Thanks for the responses. I'm gonna have one huge burst bubble if I can't upgrade my laptop. I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX150. Anyone know if I should be able to upgrade it? Thanks!

Rob

7. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Rob,

Sorry, no. That one has the video chip built onboard, not on a separate card.

8. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Going off topic a bit, does a 64MB GeForce4 440 Go better or worse than an ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON™ 9000 64MB? I ask because the wife's in the market for a new laptop and a Dell Inspiron 8200 is looking good.

9. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    My Inspiron 8200 is on its way. I selected the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000. Since I ordered it last week I've scoured the web for reviews. Here's a review that puts it head-to-head with the GeForce4 440
    http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1692&p=1
    In this particular review, the Radeon 9000 provides a significant performance increase over the 440. It also is the only laptop graphics card currently available that is compatible with DirectX 8.1.
    However, in another review it was slightly behind the 460 in performance...but that card, I believe is currently not available for the mass market.
    Cheers

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I can play UT2003 on my geforce 4 go equipped laptop, which is a DirectX 8.1 game. As I mentioned in a previous post, the Toshiba Satellite 5200 has a 460 in it. Not upgradeable, as far as I know.

Driver support is quite good, being that it is NVIDIA. I hope the ATI-equipped laptops are good in that area too.

12. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

13. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

I had a feeling after I said the 460 was not available that it would come back to bite me in the ass. :b

As far as DirectX 8, I should have clarified that the ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 is capable of running DirectX 8 games with "all" 3D-effects. The 440 does not have full capability (no programmable vertex or pixel shaders).

14. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

John..I hope I can get a "mini-review" of the 8200 soon....gaming and otherwise...[​IMG]