New Norah Jones album available in hirez in March!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    On vinyl! Gotcha! [​IMG]

According to Acoustic Sounds, our good friend Mike Hobson (Classic Records) will be issuing 200 gm vinyl in March on the Norah Jones album. If you have ever heard Mike's remasterings you know the benefit of extra resolution. He uses a "super-quiet" heavyweight LP profile that helps sonically as well.

Time to buy a turntable. [​IMG]

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Sweet... hope i can find a place locally to pick this up [​IMG]

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

But will it be multichannel? [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Yep - left AND right [​IMG]

N

5. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

Sorry but vinyl is not "high res" That actually means high resolution.. while you may prefer the sound of vinyl to CD, CD actually has a higher resolution and therefore vinyl would be considered "Low Res"

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Can of worms is open, lets try not spill it... [​IMG]

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Another fine example of format roulette syndrome???[​IMG]

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Most recording engineers disagree with you Rob.

Prove to me that the analog medium of vinyl is lower resolution.

Most audio critics feel that vinyl on a good turntable still bests SACD, CD, and DVDA.

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

To me, most audio critics couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a flashlight and finally stopped listening to them years ago. From that point on (& also due to other real-world experiences) audio became a much more fun--and much less expensive--hobby.

LJ

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I thought resolution referred to how much of the analog signal was being sampled by a digital mastering/recording source. So SACD has a higher resolution to redbook because it uses more samples and DVD-A has a higher resolution to CD because it has a larger sampling size and rate; therefore the term only applies to digital media. It is the audio analog (no pun intended) to lines of video on a monitor.

Or, I could be wrong, or I should let these pointless arguments continue...

11. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that vinyl approximates around 32khz sampling rate. Just as analog tv doesnt have exact resolution they can approximate what it is. The same can be done for vinyl.

12. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Resolution as is commonly used refers to the amount of detail one can hear in the music.

It is hard to do fair comparisons between analog and digital since analog is a continuous process as opposed to the sampling of digital. Therein also lies analog's advantage. There is sort of an infinite sampling rate being used by analog.

I can only go by what I know from working in pro audio for more than a decade. On past projects where a analog master tape and a PCM master have been made, with a decent mastering of both the vinyl will win hands down. My thoughts have also be echoed by Barry Wolifson the most recent recording engineer at Chesky. Even using state-of-the-art Prism ADCs at 96khz, he feels the results do not come close to what they have on the analog master.

Another problem is that cartridge advances in teh LP space are increasingly capable of resolving fine detail that even a good Super Audio cannot pick up, and you know how much I like that format. [​IMG] Another is the problem comparing distortions - analog has tape hiss but digital has jitter and these effect the source quality in different ways.

I initially thought SACD sounded as good as vinyl until I found some recordings where the masterings were similar in both and listened to the vinyl in an A/B on a VPI HW-19 with a very fine Benz cartridge. Vinyl won by a small but still significant margin.

13. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

Then I guess you also have to weigh how much you have spend to achieve similar results listening between say LPs and SACDs. I realize each medium has players from entry level up to rediculous, stratospheric-level hardware. In other words, would spending roughly the same amount on a turntable and cartridge and an SACD player yield playback that is roughly comparable or would one or the other require much more in terms of hardware? Yes, I know this is kind of apples to oranges but I believe it's relevant while we are comparing formats and arguing the virtues of each.

I have no opinion as I do not have SACD yet. I have DVD-A and a turntable (albeit a lowish level one) and I'm in the early throws of trying to decide what has the edge. However, I'm rapidly coming to terms with the fact it has so much more to do with mastering than anything else. I'm also reluctant to worry about it too much as I'm more inclined to just enjoy the music.

Your views?

N

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Neil, that's tantamount to blasphemy around here! [​IMG]

15. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

That's the most important thing-enjoying the music! If you and your ears are happy, then you are set. I do think as you become more exposed to hirez, your ears will find that long listening sessions are even better and that you can hear extra details that add enjoyment and realism.

16. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I guess you think that means something? For those of us in the real world it means nothing!Say hello to Alice! [​IMG]

17. John Milton

John Milton Second Unit

C'mon, an LP? Give us what we want - another Norah M/C SACD!

18. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Actually I do and I will explain...after some 20+ years in audio and a voracious reading of mainstream and high end press, I have determined a hand full of critics that I trust and find to have sound judgment. I have done this by three ways: 1) working on records with them and seeing them in action, 2) meeting and socializing with them at hif shows and industry events like the AES, and 3) comparing their findings in reviews with what my own ears tell me.

When this group of people universally believe something to be true and my own ears back it up, I pay attention. [​IMG]